lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT Slows when accelerating

I can't help with the original question, but I have a question of my own... How are you charging these batteries? You won't be able to charge them all in series as they are different capacity batteries and I've never seen a 40V charger.

I'm wondering if the two 8V batteries are being chronically under charged and will therefore have a shorter lifespan and reduced capacity. If you've figured out a way to charge it as a 16V pack and also a 24V pack then that should work fine. Anyway, I'm curious how you got past that issue.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #12
afdude08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One of the Engineers at powerwise, spoke with me on the phone and I asked him about this issue. He said that the 36 volt power-wise charger can charge up to 45 volts with no problem as 45 volts @6 amps is the cutoff point. I have verified this to be true because all of my batteries are fully charged after draining each one of them dead. Hope this helps :)
afdude08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
afdude08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: Replaced ITS and microswitch and even replaced the controller under the run/tow switch. ITS had a hairline crack in it but it's replaced, but STILL having this same issue. I am at a loss on what it could be at this point. Any body have any ideas? My controller is a E-Z-GO 350-Amp PDS Curtis Controller if that helps. Thanks
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your battery pack is ,at best, horribly mismatched, both in voltage and in storage capacity and being charged with a 36V charger designed to charge Trojan brand batteries while US Battery brand batteries need at least a 45V cutoff point for a 36V pack.

Storage capacity: The 6V batteries used for a 36V pack typically have a 225AH rating, while the 8V batteries are probably about 170AH. A lead-acid battery's AH (Amp-Hour) capacity is more or less determined by the square footage of the plates and both 6V and 8V cart batteries come in the same sized case, so the four 2V cells in an 8V battery are roughly 3/4 the size of the three 2V cells in a 6V battery. (225 x .75 = 168.75)

If you start with fully charged batteries and draw 100AH out of the pack, the 6V-225AH batteries will have 125AH remaining, or have 55.5% of their charge remaining, while the 8V-170AH batteries will only have 70AH remaining, or 41% of their charge remaining. In other words, the 8V batteries are going to die sooner than the 6V batteries.

As for charging. The PW 28115 I suspect you have, shuts off at 45V +/- 1V or in other words somewhere between 44V to 46V. A US Battery brand battery needs from 45V to 46.8V for single stage charging of a 36V pack.

The spec is 2.55VPC +/- 0.05VPC (Volta per Cell), so the cutoff voltage needed for a 40V (20 x 2V cells) is 50V to 52V to get an adequate charge for US Battery brand batteries. In other words, you mismatched battery pack is being chronically undercharged.

-------------
When the existing 40V battery pack gives up the ghost, which shouldn't be very far in the future, replace it with a 36V or a 42V or a 48V pack with closely matched batteries and the proper voltage charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Battery - Charge Specs - 1-Stage.JPG (105.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg US Battery On-Charge Voltage - Pack.jpg (42.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #15
afdude08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Your battery pack is ,at best, horribly mismatched, both in voltage and in storage capacity and being charged with a 36V charger designed to charge Trojan brand batteries while US Battery brand batteries need at least a 45V cutoff point for a 36V pack.

Storage capacity: The 6V batteries used for a 36V pack typically have a 225AH rating, while the 8V batteries are probably about 170AH. A lead-acid battery's AH (Amp-Hour) capacity is more or less determined by the square footage of the plates and both 6V and 8V cart batteries come in the same sized case, so the four 2V cells in an 8V battery are roughly 3/4 the size of the three 2V cells in a 6V battery. (225 x .75 = 168.75)

If you start with fully charged batteries and draw 100AH out of the pack, the 6V-225AH batteries will have 125AH remaining, or have 55.5% of their charge remaining, while the 8V-170AH batteries will only have 70AH remaining, or 41% of their charge remaining. In other words, the 8V batteries are going to die sooner than the 6V batteries.

As for charging. The PW 28115 I suspect you have, shuts off at 45V +/- 1V or in other words somewhere between 44V to 46V. A US Battery brand battery needs from 45V to 46.8V for single stage charging of a 36V pack.

The spec is 2.55VPC +/- 0.05VPC (Volta per Cell), so the cutoff voltage needed for a 40V (20 x 2V cells) is 50V to 52V to get an adequate charge for US Battery brand batteries. In other words, you mismatched battery pack is being chronically undercharged.

-------------
When the existing 40V battery pack gives up the ghost, which shouldn't be very far in the future, replace it with a 36V or a 42V or a 48V pack with closely matched batteries and the proper voltage charger.
Wow thank you for this info. I bought these from a local dealer of golf carts and I was told from the guy selling me the batteries that I could upgrade two of the six volt batteries with 8 volt batteries (for $75) and not have any problems whatsoever with the golf cart being able to run or charge, it was just going to provide more torque for my golf car. So you're saying he was incorrect on this? I've had these batteries maybe a month.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude08 View Post
Wow thank you for this info. I bought these from a local dealer of golf carts and I was told from the guy selling me the batteries that I could upgrade two of the six volt batteries with 8 volt batteries (for $75) and not have any problems whatsoever with the golf cart being able to run or charge, it was just going to provide more torque for my golf car. So you're saying he was incorrect on this? I've had these batteries maybe a month.
Find a different dealer!!!!!!!! Saying he was incorrect is an understatement.

Get two 6V US Battery brand batteries batteries the same model# as the four existing 6V batteries and run it at 36V. If you want to upgrade it to a higher pack voltage, you'll have to upgrade the controller, solenoid and charger to match whatever voltage you choose.

The batteries are connected in series, so the same number of amps flow through all of them as they are used and as they are charged. The motor/controller only sees the average voltage of all the 2V cells in the pack and so does the charger. Therefore all 18 cells in a 36V pack, or 21 cells in a 42V pack,or 24 cells in a 48V pack, have to be as closely matched as possible so they will be charged and discharged as close to equally as possible.

Ideally, all the batteries ought to stay withing 0.1V of each other during use, during charge and while at rest, but no two cells are identical, so the pack will eventually become imbalanced and need to be equalized (deliberately overcharged) periodically. If you happen to get closely matched batteries, once or twice a year will suffice, but the greater the mismatch, the more often equalization is needed.

---------------
The stock PDS controller limits the motor to about 4400RPM (in Freedom mode - less in the other three modes), which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires, but the stock PDS motor will spin at about 5600RPM on 36V when a controller that allows a higher RPM to be reached. And even higher RPMs can be reached when the pack voltage is increased to 42V or 48V.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #17
afdude08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow THANK YOU so much for that detailed explanation! I talked with an engineer at US Batteries and you were spot on with your answer. I will make SURE he gets these batteries replaced with the right 6volt batteries and I will take my business elsewhere. It's a shame we have people like that, that takes your lack of knowledge on something such a batteries and golf carts and profits. So glad I joined this site. Thanks again. With my original issue with the golf cart slowing down, i will get this taken care of first and get back with what happens. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Wow THANK YOU so much for that detailed explanation! I talked with an engineer at US Batteries and you were spot on with your answer. I will make SURE he gets these batteries replaced with the right 6volt batteries and I will take my business elsewhere. It's a shame we have people like that, that takes your lack of knowledge on something such a batteries and golf carts and profits. So glad I joined this site. Thanks again. With my original issue with the golf cart slowing down, i will get this taken care of first and get back with what happens. Thanks again.
The mismatched batteries might be the reason for the cart slowing down.
An electric cart's speed is largely determined by the voltage applied to the motor and a lead-acid battery's voltage drops when amps are drawn from it. How much the voltage drops is determined the battery's storage capacity (AH) and the SoC (State of Charge).

Having a much lower storage capacity, the 8V battery's voltage is going to drop fast and its SoC will also drop fast, compounding the voltage drop issue.

The net results is the set of unmatched new batteries is going to act much like a set of matched old batteries at the end of their usable lifespan.

------------
Of course, I may be wrong, but get the battery issue corrected and if the slowing down problem still exist, we can troubleshoot it.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #19
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Not uncommon for local shops, I have 3 local shops and went to each to discuss getting lithium conversion and each one looked at me like I was crazy. All said "unproven technology". I asked them how long had they had a cell phone....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO