lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: HD leaf springs? Or other options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
It would seem to me that some decent shocks would cure most of the swaying issue. I used some coil over type shocks from an old motorcycle that matched the length-compressed and extended- and it has worked well for my old CC.
It is swaying because of the load imbalance being focused on the rear springs. It does not sway when nobody is in the back. It doesn’t bounce uncontrollably.

It’s a common misconception that shocks do more than they really do. Yes they are important but Shocks do not support load, shocks control the rebound. If you’ve seen an old car go over a bump on a bridge on the highway and continue to bounce for the next quarter mile, that’s what shocks control. They will let it bounce once or twice and then it’s stable. They dampen. When they’re worn or blown out they do not dampen correctly and the car will bounce all the way down the road.

Stiffer shocks can create a stiffer or softer ride depending on the dampening that particular shock provides, but even stiff shocks are not intended to be load bearing. That’s the job of the springs.

After reading a bit more I think I’m just gonna order a set of HD springs and call it done. I figure with the loss of the battery weight, coupled with the addition of the rear seat (empty) it’s about at stock weight, with the weight biased behind the axle instead of in front of it (creating more load on the old rear springs instead of being able to distribute some of that to the front). Add in passengers in the back and it exacerbates the imbalance and overload on the rear springs. I may still have to add some counterbalance weight in the front to keep the front end planted for firmer steering, but I’ll cross that bridge if I come to it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

When I went with HD's, I wound up removing the 2nd shortest leaf and it helped with the stiffness. They were 4 leaf though.
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #13
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

i'd do some more research before buying hd springs, there are too many threads about harsh ride after install. if the ride is already harsh, it will get really harsh with hd spring in back. unless your rear seat is heavy angle iron or the kids are huge, i doubt your close to the stock weight of the old batteries. having the rear seat (with passengers) does change the dynamics and balance of the cart, but (imo) squirrely at speed, indicates a loose front end. check your wheel bearings and bushings up front.

i agree that a standard shock is just a dampener, but coil over shock does support weight. it is the only suspension on most motorcycles and if you stretch the definition, most vehicles use struts up front that are basically a coil over shock. if you got an adjustable coil over, you could play with the adjustments a bit, without going full blown hd spring. plus the coil over shocks would only be used under weighted conditions. i'm guessing here
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #14
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I agree with _Ogre,
When I suggested Coil Overs, I just assumed the springs in the rear were holding currently and evenly. So adding a coil over would possibly add a little adjustability and smooth things out. In my mind (very scary place) adding stiff HD springs would possibly make it worse. I get the disproportionate weight, but not sure.
I think I read that the springs were original and like 12 years old.
Maybe just get fresh direct replacements?
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I put HD spring on one of my DS’ a few years ago so I could load an extra 500lbs in the bed on the back of it. They will be WAY overkill for a regular cart with a back seat and lithium pack. Unless your in-laws weigh 500lbs...
Look into the dual action springs. Heavier than stock but much lighter and better ride than the true HD springs.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks guys. I’ll look into this!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Unless your in-laws weigh 500lbs...
i tried not to go there
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car