lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charging cart with OBC Bypassed

Hello all. I recently suspected my OBC was failing. After reading several different ways to bypass online, including the sticky on this forum, I was even more confused. But my cart was not charging, so I took the black wire from the charge receptacle and placed it directly to main pack -. That allowed the cart to charge, but it wasn't getting fully charged. Only hanging around 50vs at peak charge cycle and shutting off, but enough for cart to running. After more online fishing, I then took the grey sense wire and cut it after fuse and placed it on main pack - as well. This seemed to make a huge difference, as now the cart looks to be doing a full deep charge cycle which it has never done. The voltage at peak charging is up to 61v.

I have read multiple voltage charts online including on Scotties Bs site. I would like to buy the Lester II Smart charger and install onboard, but until I can do that, I will have to manually charge as stated above.

I have three questions:

1. Is my OBC fully bypassed with the above setup? Do I need to splice a blue and white wire behind OBC to be fully bypassed? I don't need to remove OBC except maybe for real estate.

2. While charging manually, what is the max voltage I should take my cart to? As i said, I dont think the OBC ever let my cart above 54v while charging in the past. Is 60+v good to fight sulphation? The current charger seems to max out right around 61v at 5 amps. Is this good, bad, normally? Should I let it stay at this voltage for a certain duration?

3. For the Lester II charger, can I buy the 1050w unit to use with my current 170ah batteries in case i want to upgrade to more powerful batteries later?

Thank you.
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2021, 07:27 AM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging cart with OBC Bypassed

To fully by-pass the OBC, the blue & white wires need to be connected. I disconnected the OBC's 6 pin connector. I cut the wires between the OBC and it's 6 pin connector. I looped the blue and white wires together and plugged the 6 pin OBC connector back in. The gray sense wire is no longer needed and I would remove from the cart. I decided to remove the OBC as I'm not a fan of "Abandon in Place" and it cleaned the area up. I had some extra cable so I made a new pack (-) cable to the -B connector on the controller.

I'm using a 750W Lester Summit 2 charger on a bank of 190AH Crowns and it does just fine.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charging cart with OBC Bypassed

Ok, so after further review, I do not see a blue and white white by or near the OBC. The only blue and white wires I have are connected to the F/R switch.

Coming out of my OBC there is the main B- wire going to my controller and three wires connected to a harness. The wire colors are yellow, red, and brown. The yellow and red wire are connected to the solenoid. The brown wire goes to the battery signal light I believe, but am not sure.

If I disconnect this harness, the cart will not go. So should I be doing something similar here? Maybe splice the yellow and red? I don't know.

If I disconnect the grey sense wire from the main battery negative, the charger relay will not engage and the cart will not charge. Please help. I want to order the new smart charger, but i want to ensure I am setup and capable first. Thank you.
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery pack full charge, lester smart charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car