lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
tchmnky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2005 EZGO TXT Plug & Play Controller Upgrade

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a speed controller upgrade for my cart. It a 2005 EZGO TXT with a lift kit, rear seat and 22" tires running on the stock controller and motor, so it struggles a bit on hills when fully loaded. I'd like just a little more power, preferring torque over speed. How large of a speed controller can I get without needing to upgrade additional components like the solenoid, F/R switch, motor etc.

So far I've found a NAVITAS 440-AMP 36-VOLT controller kit that looks like it should drop right in. What would be the Alltrax equivalent and how would it compare?

Considerations:
- My campground is a dust bowl so not sure fan cooling would be best.
- I have 4Awg wires

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
tchmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
tchmnky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 EZGO TXT Plug & Play Controller Upgrade

It looks like this would be my Alltrax option: ALLTRAX XCT-48400-PDS 400 Amp. Peak amperage is 450 so I assume it would be comparable to the Navatis I posted above. This would only require a solenoid upgrade which doesn't seem too painful. And the optional fan only blows over the enclosed unit so the dust shouldn't be too much of an issue if I went this route.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Depends on if you have a series cart or PDS cart. Where is the fnr switch?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In 2005 the TXT could be either sepex(PDS) or series. Sepex carts have a rocker switch on the dash for F/R and a "run/tow"switch on the controller cover. If yours is equipped thusly then the Alltrax XCT is appropriate for your cart. Otherwise the Alltrax SR is the correct one. If your cart is not the PDS version, more upgrades beside the controller will be necessary to reach your goal probably.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
tchmnky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all, I have the PDS\SEPEX model. F/R toggle switch on the dash and a tow mode switch on the controller.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

suggestions: Alltrax 500amp includes the fan so the price difference isn't that much over the 400amp. The unit is potted/water proof so dust not an issue I don't think. 22" tires is stressing the motor and the alltrax will add to that especially the 500 amp but you can turn it down and you have room for expansion(motor) later if needed or wanted. Stock solenoid is barely adequate for a completely stock cart used for golf. I would replace it in any case. Can't comment on that particular Navitas. Any of these controllers remove factory restrictions and should result in higher top speed and increased torque but require top notch batteries to support them. If batteries are old/tired these controllers will expose their weakness.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Going back to your question, "How large of a speed controller can I get without needing to upgrade additional components like the solenoid, F/R switch, motor etc.":

It is the motor that determines the max amp required and it is the motor's RPM that determines the actual amp draw. Everything else between the battery pack and motor only limit the max amps that the motor can draw. A stock PDS motor can handle the throughput of an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS, but the max amps needs to be turned down to 400A with a XCT48500-PDS or the stock PDS motor burns out sooner.

The 22" tall tires and rear seat means you'll very likely be replacing the stock PDS motor in a couple years. The taller tire height reduces torque by 18% so more amps are needed to move the cart and the motor RPM is also reduced by 18% for any given cart speed, so the motor is capable of drawing more amps and will run hotter, burning out sooner.

To get more torque, you need to up the battery pack voltage, get a different motor or go to shorter tires (or gears).

They motor I'm running has about 30% more than stock torque, The 17" tall tires give me and additional 5.6% of torque and I'm running a 42V battery pack for another 16.7% in the torque department. That is a combined total of 60% more than stock torque and the cart will do over 28MPH, but I RPM limit the motor to a little over 6000RPM, or about 25MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO