lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #21
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Buying a 23 y/o cart. A bad idea?

That is a "98 EZGO TXT "series" cart. Series meaning Not Sepex.

The forward black cover is over the mechanical directional(F/R) switch. The bigger black cover behind it covers the controller. It is was a sepex cart there would have been a "run/tow" switch on that cover.

When shopping for replacements or repairs to the controller and motor you need to specify for a series cart as opposed to DCS or PDS which were the same cart with sepex electronics.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #22
BurlyWizard
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, all this to say, we'll get the batteries out here in a few minutes. We know this thing is old and that's why it's cheap (relatively, for COVID). We're not concerned if things aren't in new condition, but more if they are in immediate risk of failing with significant cost to repair. It's a bit of a junker, and we're ok with that. We just don't want to pay up, pull it into the garage, and something breaks "totaling" the thing.

Everything I didn't take pics of looks ok. Frame is solid, some surface rust but nothing deep, and nothing else that stood out (other than it's very dirty).

Thank you all, truly.
BurlyWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Batteries are mismatched so likely not all of the same age. For best performance, range per charge and longevity the batteries should be matched. All the same age, brand and amp hour rating.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #24
BurlyWizard
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So...the (hopefully) last piece of the puzzle, which I don't have an answer to. We ran the cart this morning down to "flashing" low battery on the indicator. After charging for a couple hours, I turned it on to check the battery progress. Still flashing low battery. After a couple more, still flashing low battery. Finally, checked it about an hour later and the indicator had jumped all the way to FULL. Any reason for it to behave like that?
BurlyWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #25
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post pic of battery indicator as there are many types. But, yes could be normal. Some battery gages need to see a specified voltage for a specified time in munutes and then it resets to full. That's the quick answer but there are caveats and lots of misunderstanding about battery gages and all of them will lie to you eventually.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The only "battery gauge" I would trust is a digital volt meter. All of those analog gauge or digital bar graph types are really vague at best, outright lying to you at worst.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:19 AM   #27
Sideways
Gone Wild

What charger do you have?
Leave the charger on until it turns itself off, it could take several hours (overnight)to fully charge the batteries depending on how depleted they are.
The cart looks sound by the pictures you posted.

Below is a guide to see if your batteries/pack are fully charged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #28
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually doesn’t appear to be in bad shape for it’s age.
Learn how to use a volt meter,multi meter to monitor battery state of charge.
The rust shown looks normal for a cart that age. Battery trays rust the most
from battery acid bubbling out during charge. You’d looks like it can be wire brushed clean and painted with POR. A type of metal protector that works for this application.
At least one of the brake cables have been replaced.
Check the automatic brake adjusters for rust along with brake cables moving freely. Common problem on older carts.

From the pics I would buy it at 2,200. Around here that would be a deal with today’s pricing.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #29
Dollar Downs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When I go to the site sponsors tab up top it shows a blank page. Where do I go to find the site sponsors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
If you end up with it please try to buy your parts/upgrades from the site sponsors here on the site. They're extremely helpful with all things having to do with carts and are happy to help.
Dollar Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #30
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's the sponsor page link. It works for me, hopefully it'll work for you.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

One of the C clips is missing from your brakes. Not a big deal but as cheap as they are I'd replace it. What is the PSI rating on the tires? If they are low PSI tires they're sort of OK-ish but will limit your top speed and will wear out faster. If they are high PSI tires those are the right ones and you can increase the pressure for more speed or decrease the pressure for a softer ride. Each cart is different, so you will want to play around a bit. But the low pressure tires for lawnmowers or ATV's are commonly used and should not be. My cart tires are 32 max psi. My riding mower tires are 5 psi max.

If you do get the cart, grease every grease fitting you see. Most carts are never greased and after 23 years that causes some slop in the steering. The grease can help a lot.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO