lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Concussion
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2002 Club Car rear-end noise

Hello everyone. What a great community.

After reading multiple posts here I'm pretty sure I've heading in the right direction to resolve this issue.
I have some noise coming from the gearbox of my cart. I've installed a D&D 502.2 torque motor with an Alltraxx controller. I also tested with the factory 3.5hp GE motor to make sure the noise wasn't being caused by the motor.
The noise was present with both motors.

I changed the oil and did not have any chunky metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug, but it did have some black dust clinging to it.

I've already purchased all of the bearings that can be replaced except for the axle bearings and I'm waiting for them to be delivered. I figured I'd better just replace them all if I'm going to crack the case open. I just want to see if anyone thinks that this could be something other than bearings.

Here is the noise. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DgAhFDC3c
Concussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
Concussion
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Club Car rear-end noise

Does the backend i the recording sound normal? It seems loud and there are few distinct sounds that I'm not sure about.

The low rumble of the gears coming together which I hear without a motor and just turning by hand. Like a low purring.
Then there is the what sounds like a small high-strung motor randomly revving up and down as the actual motor accelerates and decelerates. I'm not sure if you would classify that as a whine or not.

I have no reference for a normal sounding back-end sounds like. Should it be quiet? I realize that I have a torque motor which I assume should sound different but I'm not sure. Looking for some insight.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

What is make and model of cart? I have read where some carts need dampening fluid of some sort in rear end....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Concussion
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's a 2002 IQ model originally with a GE 3.5hp motor. I hadn't read anything in my search about dampening fluid.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm sure you have ruled out brake noises. They can cause all sorts of sound effects. Here is a post with interesting results:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...ear+axle+fluid

Good luck with your repairs.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like bearing noise from here, but could also be worn splines on the input shaft.
Was there a lot of rust on the splines when you removed the motor? Did you apply any kind of grease to the splines or the coupler on the new motor?

You can check for the source of the noise with a stethoscope, use a stick or broom handle to press the throttle down and hold it around 1/4 throttle. Poke around on the case of the transmission with the stethoscope and see where the noise is the loudest.
Just don't get yourself hung up in the wheels.

Dampening fluid... is for shocks.

The rear axle on your cart should use 30wt motor oil. Some people like to use 10w30 or 10w40 oil. Conventional or synthetic, doesn't matter. I run straight 30w in all of mine.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, noise
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car