lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
Thomasdthe3rd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Need help with motor braking

I have posted a couple of times but haven’t received any thoughts on this yet. Please help before I waste money. I have a stock 2004 club car ds that has a speed magnet. No other mods(yet). It has been doing fine for a few months, accelerates good up to 18-19 mph. Lately, when letting off the accelerator the motor brakes very hard, almost locking up the wheels and will start beeping. Then, when you get slowed down, the beeping stops and everything seems normal. Why would it start doing this all of a sudden? I thought the magnet disabled the regent braking? It’s a 48 volt cart with 1 year old Trojan batteries, 4 12 volts. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thomasdthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Need help with motor braking

Maybe not it, but worth checking the forward/reverse switch and circuit. When my son kicks it into neutral or reverse as we’re driving, it will beep beep beep quickly and slow down very quickly.

Otherwise the only time I’ve experienced the regen braking with my magnet is when I go down a hill too quickly (near 30mph) I can feel regen brake kicking in. But if speed code is set to 14mph and the speed magnet has half the poles of the original i believe it thinks I’m doing 15mph and trying to regulate that speed. Even then it only kicks in for a short bit, couple seconds at most.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
Thomasdthe3rd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

We experienced that one time, my son did the same thing. He accidentally knocked it into neutral without me knowing. I am wondering if that hurt the switch because it was around that time it started doing what it is doing. I could replace the switch with something better but I don’t want to burn that up if the problem is somewhere else. Eventually everything will be upgraded, just doing it in stages. How can I test the the fnr switch to see if that is the problem?
Old 05-23-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d just check the connections ans make sure they’re clean and there’s no corrosion. Both at the switch and the controller.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
Thomasdthe3rd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I will look at that and let you know what I find. Wish I could help you on your magnet question.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
tbachtell
Not Yet Wild

Have you had someone check the controller programming. Curtis controllers have a lot of sophisticated braking options. I just moved up to the 1268 and its amazing how I can control the braking.
tbachtell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
Thomasdthe3rd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No, I haven’t but I was thinking about that also. I haven’t had a chance to check the fnr switch yet. Should have some time to look at both Saturday. I have a friend who has the diagnostic tool for a club car, I just haven’t gotten up with him yet. I’m assuming I can check the controller with that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car