lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
sandpiper96
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor recommendation please...

So I'm looking for some advice for a replacement motor. I had 24" tires on my 48v cart, some hills in the neighborhood, so I've replaced them with 20" tires after burned up the motor evidently; it's an Admiral MOT-B2 8HP. I replaced the brushes on it just to see if that resolved the burning smell/overheating, but it didn't. With a multimeter clamp, it pulls 20 to 40amps, which seems to bit low. The cart has a Curtis 1268 400amp controller and a basic 100amp selenoid. I prefer not to convert it to AC and really just want to get it back running without overheating the motor.

1. Should I replace it with the same motor now that I've gone to a smaller tire?
2. Does 20-40amps seem low for that motor indicating an actual issue with the motor or controller?
3. Will that selenoid cause an issue being rated that low @ 100amps?

Just looking for some recommendations and advice... what would you do? Thanks in advance, E
sandpiper96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor recommendation please...

1. You can very likely get a motor better suited to your specific application for about the same price, so it might be a good idea to go with one with more torque to offset the torque loss caused by the taller than stock tires.

2. That does seem a bit low, but more testing is needed to determine what the problem(s) is(are).

3. Stock solenoids tend to be undersized. Need a minimum of 200A continuous / 800A peak.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
sandpiper96
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor recommendation please...

Johnnie, as usual, thanks for the advice!

I think I'm just going to go ahead and contact Scotty @ cartsunlimited.net... just too many options out there. Thinking definitely need to replace the motor, perhaps should just swap the 1268 with an Alltrax and a new solenoid while I'm at it. I think in the long run I'll be alot happier.

E
sandpiper96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO