lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
Lee0smond
Not Yet Wild

Default LED Pod Lights - 12V in Series Question

I bought 4 identical 18W 12V LED Pod lights. My cart has (6) 8V batteries so no real way to get 12V without a step down.

Can I wire the Pod lights in series (since they are identical) and then hook the 4 12V lights up to the full 48v bank?

They're only 18W so
18W/12V = 1.5A
1.5A * 4 Lights = 6A
6A * 1.25 safety factor = 7.5A

So with only a 7.5 Amp max draw, I'm not too concerned with overloading a simple switch and wire.
Lee0smond is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: LED Pod Lights - 12V in Series Question

Maybe is the answer. IT depends if the voltage splits evenly among them. If you run them in series, they will only draw 1.5 amps from your batteries! Try hooking them in series and measure the voltage across each one. If it's close to even then you're good. My guess is that it will work fine. All of your wires will only see 1.5 amps if you run the lights in series!!!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
Lee0smond
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Maybe is the answer. IT depends if the voltage splits evenly among them. If you run them in series, they will only draw 1.5 amps from your batteries! Try hooking them in series and measure the voltage across each one. If it's close to even then you're good. My guess is that it will work fine. All of your wires will only see 1.5 amps if you run the lights in series!!!
Good call on the Amps. Not used to running lights in series so brain fart on that one.

Ok, so yeah at 1.5A even less of a risk of overloading wire/switch. Probably won't even need a relay for that low draw and just put an inline fuse before the rocker switch.

So in theory this works. But just confirm lights seeing similar voltage. Just as a worst case, is the risk that I burn out one light prematurely if the voltage is out of whack?
Old 10-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes. Each pod is actually going to be several LED's in series with a dropping resistor. As long as you see equal voltages (or nearly so) across each one, you should be good. Keep in mind that if one fails, they will all go out. With that light a load, you could also get a fairly cheap voltage reducer to run them in parallel.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Lee0smond
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yes. Each pod is actually going to be several LED's in series with a dropping resistor. As long as you see equal voltages (or nearly so) across each one, you should be good. Keep in mind that if one fails, they will all go out. With that light a load, you could also get a fairly cheap voltage reducer to run them in parallel.
They were $28 for 4, so I'm not super concerned if they burn out haha just wanted to confirm I wasn't doing something ridiculous to burn down the cart haha

I'll take a look at voltage reducers.

So would it go:

Bat+ -> Fuse -> Reducer -> Switch -> Lights in parallel

Also, since 48V is the rating but obviously not peak voltage, do I need to size the reducer for a 72v system instead of a 48V rating?
Old 10-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A regular 48V reducer will work fine. Many reducers come with an inline fuse in the bat plus lead. You can also add one in the 12V output lead. Wiring the reducer varies depending on what you get. I prefer the ones that have a trigger wire that goes to the ignition switch to turn it on. It hooks across the battery directly. Then you would switch the 12V to the lights and the reducer would only power on when the ignition switch is on. If you get one without a trigger wire, then you would want to switch the battery power to the reducer so that it isn't on all the time.

But your idea to put the four in series will probably work just fine and if that's the only thing you want to run then you don't need a reducer.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
Lee0smond
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
But your idea to put the four in series will probably work just fine and if that's the only thing you want to run then you don't need a reducer.
Another quick question, this is getting a little too cobbled for my liking, but are there any risks to temporarily running an oversized AC rated switch?

Got a cheap 250V-10A/125V-15A rated switch. Going on the 48V cart with an amp draw of about 1.6.

Will this work as a temporary solution? or not a good idea?
Old 10-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #8
Lee0smond
Not Yet Wild

Looking at amazon F/R switches, they also seem to be rated with AC only, so I can't be crazy thinking the that AC switch will hold for 4 lights, am I?
Old 10-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Switches don't really care AC vs DC unless there is a very substantial load on them. Your four lights won't push any normal switch especially one rated for 15 amps.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
Lee0smond
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Switches don't really care AC vs DC unless there is a very substantial load on them. Your four lights won't push any normal switch especially one rated for 15 amps.
Thanks again buddy, appreciate your answers!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO