lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #21
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor Issues?

Instead of a golf cart shop, you may have better luck taking it to an electric motor shop. I've had a couple rebuilt that way, and both places did a good job. They didn't normally work on cart motors, but they had no problem fixing them

Most of the golf cart shops I know about don't have the expertise to deal with an electric motor, but your area may be different.

One thing I have found out for sure is that I don't ever need to work on an electric motor myself; it never runs again if I take it apart. It's much better for me to remove the motor and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. You can still save a lot of money doing it that way vs taking it to a cart shop. Good luck getting it going.
coosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you can find an electric motor shop, they have the equipment to turn the commutator for you and they usually don't charge too much to do it. Some good golf cart shops may have a motor shop that they deal with. All of the cart shops I know of just want to sell you a new motor for way too much money.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #23
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGoneWild View Post
You can use a 3-jaw 8 inch gear puller. Good tool to have for all kinds of projects. Pulled the same bearing out a week ago with it. It made what looked like the toughest job of my project into the easiest. Replaced a washing machine bearing not long ago too. Probably 35 dollars or so at amazon. Think I got mine much cheaper at harbor freight or somewhere like that.
Best advise I've had on the internet in a very long time. This worked like a charm!
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #24
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
Best advise I've had on the internet in a very long time. This worked like a charm!
Cheap tools do have their place sometimes! Almost like that tool was made for that specific motor right? Glad it helped. Now if your washer ever wobbles and starts leaking, you're all set.
DanGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #25
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So what's the best way to get the armature into the new bearing?
Old 11-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #26
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

4lb dead blow and socket…. Took 5 minutes. Motor runs strong now.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #27
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you use a dead blow and socket, you have to be sure that you put all of the force on the inner race or you will damage the bearing. It's better to get it pressed on. Many service stations have a press and the tools to press on bearings and they often don't charge much to do that.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #28
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
4lb dead blow and socket…. Took 5 minutes. Motor runs strong now.
I'm fixing to put mine back together. So just so I have this straight, you set the bearing in the cover holding the brushes, put the C-clip on to hold the bearing in and then pounded the bearing down on the shaft through the hole where the speed sensor goes, do I have that right? I assume our motors are close to the same
Old 11-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #29
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't have your exact motor but I would think you would install the bearing on the armature shaft first and then install the armature / bearing in the housing. When installing new bearings, you have to be very careful to never apply force through the bearing it's self (from Inner to Outer race). You will damage the balls and races if you do that. Did the bearing come out with the armature when you disassembled it?????
Old 11-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I don't have your exact motor but I would think you would install the bearing on the armature shaft first and then install the armature / bearing in the housing. When installing new bearings, you have to be very careful to never apply force through the bearing it's self (from Inner to Outer race). You will damage the balls and races if you do that. Did the bearing come out with the armature when you disassembled it?????
Yeah I intend on hitting it on the inner ring. The reason I'm asking is with my motor, the bearing came off the shaft with the cover where I then removed it out the cover after the armature was detached. It doesnt appear the ring holding the bearing in the cover could be accessed until the armature was removed but I wanted to double check that there wasnt some other trick to it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO