lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #11
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Airport Shuttle/Limo Frame-off Wishful Rebuild (pics)

I sat down yesterday to reinstall an axle and realize that my idea of weakening the leaf springs is not a good idea. The fatigue that the air bags will put on the leak springs will eventually cause it to break, perhaps and a very inopportune time. If the air bag dream is going to stay alive, I will have to switch to a 3- or 4-link suspension. So fabrication will be a must. I ordered a 4-link suspension kit from eBay last night. It is for a rear axle, but I wanted to see how adaptable it would be for the front axle too. The kit was not made for a golf cart, so it may be tricky figuring this out. I eventually have to figure out both axles. But one kit at a time as I figure this stuff out. It’ll be in next weekend, so nothing will happen to the golf cart this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mathemagician44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #12
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

I have stared at this thing in the driveway for so many hours. I didn’t realize how little I knew. I originally purchased a standard 24” 4-link truck suspension, thinking that I could just modify and weld as needed. It was too big and I now see that I cannot trust my virgin structural welds while carrying kids down the road at 20 mph. This is a much more involved process that I had hoped. Air bags are going to cost me $2k+ and just a stupid amount of hours trying to figure out how to make it all work. It has been a lot of fun to study and test fit stuff. Stressfully irritating at many time too.

I have now measured and bought bolt-on 17” long rods for a parallel 3-link suspension with a pan hard for the front axle. I think it should arrive this week sometime. Still haven’t studied on the rear axle yet. Will post pics assuming that I get it all to work out.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #13
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I do the same thing! I get into a project thinking I'll have it done in 2 hours and it takes 2 weeks. It's my perpetual optimism I think. At least you have the front suspension figured out. Hopefully with that experience in hand you'll have a better go at the rear suspension.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #14
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Slow going. Has been a lot more involved than I expected. I probably wouldn’t start this project again had I better understood what was involved.

I have gotten the front axle acting independently with three link rods. I need to order rods 2” shorter to help center the axle better. The link rods are a bit shorter than I was hoping to use, so I’ll need to figure out some kind of brace that can limit the maximum that the rods can travel. Few prelim pics below.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #15
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you bend those lower rods that will effectively shorten them while also giving you extra clearance for your tie rod. Then you'd only need to shorten one of the rods to match the center-to-center distance of the other two that are now bent. Just a thought.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO