lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default OBC bypass needed? BigBatt Eagles in '06 Precedent

Just wondering...
I have a stock 2006 Precedent 48v with 4 12v lead acids.
My Big Battery Eagle lithium kit will be here soon! I went with the eagles, as the husky footprint is too large for the '06, where all of my electronic guts are in the middle.
The video on their website shows them dropping the new batteries in, connecting the busbar wires, main cart wires, charger, etc.... but NO MENTION of bypassing the OBC that I see so much talk about. Will I need to? The kit comes with a charger from BigBattery.

Confused as to if I'll need to do the blue/white wire bypass thing, or if that is for other reasons that I am missing, like integrating a charger or something?

Thank you for your help.
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: OBC bypass needed? BigBatt Eagles in '06 Precedent

Yes you need to bypass the OBC. I would remove it from the cart! Follow the instructions in the sticky to bypass / remove the OBC.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you, I wonder why Big Batt does not even mention it in their install video.
Can I ask, why is the bypass necessary? What are the "technicals" behind it?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The OBC can keep your cart from running if it gets confused and since you have a separate lithium charger, you don't need it to control your charger. It's main role in a stock cart is to control the stock charger and prevent the cart from running if you are charging.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

I appreciate your response.
I have just read about 20 pages of posts in the club car bypass OBC sticky thread and am even more confused now. I was hoping the top post in the thread would have a clear list of steps I would need for an 06 precedent with the rocker swtich F-R drive system.
I found a youtube video, I am going to try to combine that with the two hours of reading I just tried doing on joining a blue and white wire together.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:07 PM   #6
JackL1956
Not Yet Wild

Which Eagle Kit did you buy?
JackL1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:04 AM   #7
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Two…. 30ah each. I was worried it wouldn’t be quite enough, but I drove 8 miles last night in the hilly terrain around my house. Only dropped one bar on the gauge. That was my first time taking it for a drive. Very pleased. Can’t get my voltage reducer to work, I think it must be bad. Cells won’t power on if I had it hooked up, or if I hook it up after I turn the cells on, it shorts with a loud popping flash! Lol. Shuts everything down.
I never ended up bypassing the OBC. Figure I’ll do it only if I have to. Lots of conflicting information on that.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #8
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarcor View Post
I never ended up bypassing the OBC. Figure I’ll do it only if I have to. Lots of conflicting information on that.
The OBC controls charging of the lead acid batteries, the negative cable that passes through it allows it to monitor current during use and charging. If you do not bypass the OBC it may shut down the Controller.

If your charger is onboard and connected directly to your batteries - all you have to do is unplug the OBC and connect the blue and white wires together on the CONTROLLER side.
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #9
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Makes sense. bigbattery.com doesn’t mention anything about bypassing the OBC for club cars. Some folks suggested it’s just because they’d rather have a generic set of directions that apply to all golf carts. I’ve seen several YouTube folks drop these Eagles into precedents like I did without doing anything to the computer. Worst case, if the controller locks up I can do the blue and white connection after the fact, correct? It won’t permanently lock it if I wait, right?
Old 07-03-2022, 07:29 AM   #10
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

No won't be permanent.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 club car, big battery, bypass, obc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car