lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 92 3PG Top End Rebuild - Where to Begin?

One last suggestion..

Use a high grade 2 stroke oil. Ive seen the lower grades cause the float needle to stick and the cart will run for 1 min, then die, then you will have to dissasemble the carb and unstick the float needle.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
One last suggestion..

Use a high grade 2 stroke oil. Ive seen the lower grades cause the float needle to stick and the cart will run for 1 min, then die, then you will have to dissasemble the carb and unstick the float needle.
Interesting that you should mention that. I have had to clean my choke every 3 or 4 months. It was hard starting and cleaning the carb would fix it. I'm still using the oil that was in it when I bought it about 18 months ago.. I have no idea what it is. I do know it is clean and slippery :-)

The last time I took the carb off to clean it I didn't tighten the air hose and when the grandkids were driving in a dusty and grassy field it stopped running and I haven't been able to start it since. I noticed that the intake hose was off and the carb had dust and grass clippings in it's opening. I checked the compression and it was less than 40 pounds. I'm assuming that's what killed the engine. I can't even get any gas flow when cranking the engine.New and high quality oil from now on. What do you recommend?

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

I use redline synthetic 2 stroke oil, but any type of premium 2 stroke oil you should be ok.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

That sure don't sound too good to me..

If that engine ran with no air filtration, and dirt and such being inhaled
all the time, there is no telling what you're going to run into in the top
of that motor.
Your pistons could be pretty messed up.

On the bright side, if you are reasonably mechanically inclined, and
take notes, mark things, and keep everything well ordered, you should be able to do a rebuild, but that's your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workstead View Post
Interesting that you should mention that. I have had to clean my choke every 3 or 4 months. It was hard starting and cleaning the carb would fix it. I'm still using the oil that was in it when I bought it about 18 months ago.. I have no idea what it is. I do know it is clean and slippery :-)

The last time I took the carb off to clean it I didn't tighten the air hose and when the grandkids were driving in a dusty and grassy field it stopped running and I haven't been able to start it since. I noticed that the intake hose was off and the carb had dust and grass clippings in it's opening. I checked the compression and it was less than 40 pounds. I'm assuming that's what killed the engine. I can't even get any gas flow when cranking the engine.New and high quality oil from now on. What do you recommend?

Clem
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
That sure don't sound too good to me..

If that engine ran with no air filtration, and dirt and such being inhaled
all the time, there is no telling what you're going to run into in the top
of that motor.
Your pistons could be pretty messed up.

On the bright side, if you are reasonably mechanically inclined, and
take notes, mark things, and keep everything well ordered, you should be able to do a rebuild, but that's your decision.
I've gotten some good advice here and I'm going to do it. I'm usually very good at doing something, the second time.

This time I am doing my homework and will do it right the first time, with a little (lot) of help from my new friends.

Clem
Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #16
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

UPDATE.

I finally have my engine torn down and I learned a lot on this, my first engine work of any kind. Thanks to all who have contributed to my mechanical education.

The attached pictures show a "little" scoring on my piston. It looks like I wasn't getting much (any) lubrication from the deep gouges on the aluminum piston.

I was thinking of eliminating the automatic oiler, and now I KNOW I will eliminate it and mix the oil with the gas.

Clem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC260022 Resized.jpg (95.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PC260023 Resized.jpg (108.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Another question.

Is there supposed to be any oil in the crank case of the 3PG engine?

There is some oil in mine and I didn't think that 2 cycle engines required oil in the crankcase to lubricate the engine.

Thanks,

Clem
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #18
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Wow man, thats bad ive never seen one in that condition.. how is the jug, because if the pistion is any indication of what the jug might look like.. an overboar is definetly required, no simple hone and re-ring job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workstead View Post
Another question.

Is there supposed to be any oil in the crank case of the 3PG engine?

There is some oil in mine and I didn't think that 2 cycle engines required oil in the crankcase to lubricate the engine.

Thanks,

Clem

Chances are thats just oil from the fuel that evaporated, or just excess oil floating around.. No theres no oil required in the crankcase.. With that said though.. when you are putting the engine back together, make sure you well oil all the bearings, cylinder..and everything with 2 stroke oil.. Helps pervent a dry start

Also if i remeber correctly, in the manual it says to pre oil the base gasket before assembly.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
Chuckwag
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Clem,

I just found your thread about the 3pg rebuild...how's it going?

Chuckwag
Chuckwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO