lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Question governor removal question

Can the internal governor parts be removed from inside the rear end?

I will be changing the fluid soon and want to take any governor parts out that I can get to. I don't drive my cart with the gas pedal to the floor so I thought I would just remove these parts if I could.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: governor removal question

Your 89 doesn't have any internal governor parts - if you look closely, you'll see an arm (lever) right in front of the final clutch cover, this arm attaches to a cable that runs to your carb (see pic)

To disable the governor, trace this cable to the carb and unhook it. Personally, however, I would highly recommend against unhooking it (maybe just adjust it a bit to allow higher speeds) as it's VERY easy to over-rev these 2PG motors. I found that out once I added a tach to my cart, I never realized just how often I was flirting with or blatantly crossing factory redline (the engine never sounded strained or gave any indication), especially going down even a small incline.

Factory specs on that motor are 5K max, I set my governor to throttle back at around 4400 to 4600-ish and I only lost about 2mph on level ground so the peace of mind was worth it. The tach cost me just over $10 on Ebay, shipped - search the gas Ezgo forum for "cheap tachometer" (the thread is only maybe a month or so old) - it's a good investment (along with reatining at least *some* of the governors operation) especially if anyone else who might not be so gentle on the throttle will be driving your cart!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

[QUOTE=BrewCityMusic;463287]Your 89 doesn't have any internal governor parts - if you look closely, you'll see an arm (lever) right in front of the final clutch cover, this arm attaches to a cable that runs to your carb

My parts breakdown book shows internal gears that attach to that arm
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Brew City is correct, there are no internal parts. The clutch pushes the lever which pulls the cable which closes the throttle. The end.

Thoughts differ on the removal of the governor, I removed mine and I keep an eye on the rev counter keeping it below 4000 rpm. The last I heard from BC was that although he has the same rev counter he feels more comfortable with the governor working. It's all down to personal preference.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I just took a good long peek at the parts manual for your cart, and if you are looking at the suspension/frame diagram, I can see where it's a little confusing ...

Dave's right, it's a matter of preference. Around here, my cart gets ridden like a (insert favorite off-color saying here) and usually by a few different drivers on any given day. The governor just gives me a little peace of mind. I would, however, invest the $13 in a tach if you're going to remove the governor, as it's amazingly easy to overrev these motors without it, especially if you're driving in hilly areas ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

and there's the difference. My cart is just driven by me and my good lady, but if the kids / relatives / drunken buddies ........... the governor would be back on and set to 12 mph
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO