lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
cbiss
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio wiring for 2004 Club Car Precedent

Hi all - thanks in advance for any advise you can offer!

I have a 2004 Electric Club Car Precedent. It has the headlights installed. I am attempting to install a Custom Cart Audio radio unit. This unit has only two wires coming from it.

I also bought a converter, but after seeing that it is "on all the time" unless a seperate switch is installed, I am wondering if there is an easier way to do this.

Have read a bunch of posts, and one seemed to imply that I could connect to the wire for the headlights behind the ignition switch panel. Will that work? Both my headlight wires are yelllow, can I use either one? And which black wire would I connect to?

I also noted a pair of "extra wires" when I opened that panel. Would those work for the radio? One is black with green stripe, the other is red.

Pic of battery compartment and electrical panel attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart 1.jpg (82.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg cart 2.jpg (80.6 KB, 65 views)
cbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Radio wiring for 2004 Club Car Precedent

I think those wires available are 48v typically used for a state of charge meter. Members recommend using a converter to pull power from all batteries at once rather then one 12v battery alone. I would pm tahoedawg. Hes the CC guru.
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
cbiss
Not Yet Wild

OK. I checked them and the hot wire to the starter is 12 volts, so I used it for my hot wire and the black and green for the other.

Radio is working, but it gets staticy when the cart is in motion. Would the converter fix this problem?
cbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
wizzardcarts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

converter works fine on clubcar hope you purchased one rated @18 amps 12v otherwise just run radio on it dont worry about it running alltime draws milliams in standby off all 4 batts would take a yr to draw batts down ideling good luck voltage reducers on ezgo wont work without altering wireing harness & will cause controller malfunction due to ground loop situation !! wich sometimes will make controller run 1/2 speed reverse & then it's time to replace controller SOME OF THESE REDUCERS HAVE DIRTY ELECTRICAL COMPONETS WICH CAUSE CONFLICTS WITH CONTROLLER,S COMPUTER,S
wizzardcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
xpjumper
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Go with a voltage reducer 48v to 12v with a on/off switch. I have a 30 amp one mounted under the rear seat with a switch on the dash. Run 12v to a tb block behind the dash. Pull your 12v for everything off the tb block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4442.jpg (59.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4444.jpg (82.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4440.jpg (57.1 KB, 85 views)
xpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
ColdBeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

XP, What kinda stereo are you using? looks good. Also, how is your reducer wired, do you have a pic?
I'm in the dark on all of this elec. stuff and cant seem to find the info on the Precedent that I'm looking for. I've searched BGW 8 ways to Sunday but I just don't get it. I read somewhere that the Precedent does not need a reducer for some reson or another, and then I read that it does...

I'm hopeless.

Thanks for any info!
CB
ColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
xpjumper
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ColdBeer..I'm using a Jensen Marine waterproof radio model MSR2107.
The head unit is mounted on the dash and the tuner/amp is mounted behind the dash. I don't have pictures of the voltage reducer wiring. All wiring is running through black plastic conduit. It's pretty simple....48v in and 12v out. It has an on/off switch mounted on the dash. I mounted a TB block behind the dash to connect all my 12v connections to. ...true, you can run it without a voltage reducer by pulling 12v off of one of your 12v batteries, but why drain one battery out of four all the time ? Get someone good with electronics to assist you.
xpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
ColdBeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpjumper View Post
ColdBeer..I'm using a Jensen Marine waterproof radio model MSR2107.
The head unit is mounted on the dash and the tuner/amp is mounted behind the dash. I don't have pictures of the voltage reducer wiring. All wiring is running through black plastic conduit. It's pretty simple....48v in and 12v out. It has an on/off switch mounted on the dash. I mounted a TB block behind the dash to connect all my 12v connections to. ...true, you can run it without a voltage reducer by pulling 12v off of one of your 12v batteries, but why drain one battery out of four all the time ? Get someone good with electronics to assist you.
Yeah, 10-4 on that. I don't want to blow my fingertips off and stop my heart. I put it in "tow" when I diddle with the batts but that dont kill em dead... Me and lectricity no likey each other.

Thanks man!
ColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
precedent, radio, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car