lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Rattling and shaking 79 G1 two stroke

More surprises the more I look. The entire clutch assembly wobbles when I try to start it. I can actually lift it about 1/2 inch. I assume this isn't normal? Also, there is a vacuum line coming off the exhaust could this be part of my problem with the buggy only starting if choked?
Sbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Rattling and shaking 79 G1 two stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbaker View Post
More surprises the more I look. The entire clutch assembly wobbles when I try to start it. I can actually lift it about 1/2 inch. I assume this isn't normal? Also, there is a vacuum line coming off the exhaust could this be part of my problem with the buggy only starting if choked?
I'll start with the oil pump/muffler jet sensor hose, no, it's not causing the problem. Most likeley low compression /worn out cranks seals or bad fuel pump or dirty carb. Your 79 should have minimum 100 lbs compression (new was 120 lbs) checked at wide open throttle. If compression is good, probably crank seals. On the clutch issue, no you shouldn't have any movement at all, something very strange there, hope it's not the crank bearing Can you show us a picture or a vid?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
brsmith
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It sounds like you have a key way that has snapped in half from the shaft. Causing it to have the play in it. Go on www.tnt.com its a yamaha cart site and you can look at the engine blow up and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll tale you what my G1 had all kinds on problems when I got it. Oh and for the vaccum line you are talking about it comes from the exhust to the oil pump if you have one and I wouldn't use it. Premix is the way to go. 50:1 ratio if you need that info too. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3666.jpg (226.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3667.jpg (210.7 KB, 9 views)
brsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Should have asked...are you talking about the primary clutch (engine) or the secondary clutch (transaxle)?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I will shoot a video now and upload it in about 15 minutes. I know you can't trust anyone. I am disabled and needed the cart at the campground to haul the cooler and dirty water tank. I was hoping this would get me through October until I could get it home for the winter to do a complete restoration. Even though I told the guy I guess he didn't give a $&@! Sorry for the whining, back to work. Video to follow. Thanks guys
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The video crapped out on me. The clutch at the engine is the one I can move. I got it running today by cleaning the carb. I adjusted the throttle linkage so now I have a little more throttle control but it surges very bad. When I adjust the carb nothing happens. I am checking the carb "gasket/ housing" for leaks now. Where is the throttle shaft I have been reading about? I have been unable to spray the carb cleaner around the engine until now. I'll be back in 20 minutes or 8:30 eastern time. Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK, so I think I'm a dumb--- while doing the carb cleaner test I noticed that the throttle linkage is opening and closing by itself! With the cart not running it seems to be controlled by the gas pedal. But when running it looks like the exhaust side gate is controlling it. Now, do I need that gate or can I fix it closed or open?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The throttle linkage controls the exhaust flap, not vice-versa. What you are seeing is the governor in the transmission trying to keep the input shaft from exceeding 12 MPH. With the tires off the ground there is no resistance to make this transition smooth, so the engine will surge up & down.

Regarding the wobble. Can you move just the outer half of the clutch (the large section from the belt outwards)? This indicates a clutch problem. If you can move the inner sheave as well (the piece between the belt and the engine) this indicated an engine problem.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Oh, that makes sense. The sped limit in our camp is 10 mph so I should leave it be? How about the carb not adjusting? I can tell you that it starts now without wide open throttle but I still have to choke it. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The pilot screw only adjusts mixture at idle and very low speeds. Set it at 1-1 1/2 turns open to begin. This will affect how the engine starts.

Does the engine need choke only to start, or do you have to choke it to keep it running?
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha