lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
kjackson7710
Not Yet Wild

Default What is the Small black box on top of the rear wheel well on Yamaha G1 gas

I am new with carts and bought a yamaha g1 from a friend who could not get the cart to get spark. He says he checked the generator/motor, tried three different coil packs (although they were not new but did work when taken of other machines) and he then found that it was hot up until the small black box on the rear wheel well near the solinoids. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what the problem could be and what that box is? something like a CDI box on a snowmobile? Thanks for any help please excuse my ignorance.
kjackson7710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is the Small black box on top of the rear wheel well on Yamaha G1 gas

That little box give you spark its a ignition relay they cost about $110 oem# 4u8-81950-02-00 try tapping it while turning the motor over you will get some spark
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
paulhut
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: What is the Small black box on top of the rear wheel well on Yamaha G1 gas

That little black box is the CDI.

Some G1s had a relay on the wheel well also. The CDI has 6 wires and the relay has 4.

There is also a voltage regulator with 3 wires and further back is a reverse beeper with 2 wires.

You should check out this post to determine the year of your G1 and then this post for a wiring diagram.
paulhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
rherzner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

maybe you are looking @ the voltage regulator?????????
rherzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
kjackson7710
Not Yet Wild

I'll post a pic. thanks for the info so far.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
kjackson7710
Not Yet Wild

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...n7710/cart.jpg

Here is a pic of the right rear fender and the black box i was talking about. It does have 6 wires so I am guessing it is a CDI although i still dont know what model g1 it is because there are no stickers on it anylonger.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
paulhut
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The VIN for the G1 is stamped on the metal tube above the gearbox between the rear shocks. It should look like J10-006773 (my G1's VIN)
Take that number and enter it into this website to find the year: http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/index....ormation_id=29
paulhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

the gold box is the voltage regulator and black box is CDI
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
makobuggie
Gone Wild

I found my serial # drivers side rear right by the bumper braket on the frame, i have a 81 g1, it dont have a black box like that, i only have the cdi box, i replaced, starter, coil. Relay, hope to get it running this weekend, good luck.
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
kjackson7710
Not Yet Wild

Do any of you guys buy/sell parts on here? If so G1 CDI???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha