lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Clutches for G2/G9

My G9 has a stock drive clutch and my G2 has a comet 94.

i know the 94 takes more rpm to engage and is harder to find parts.

After searching the forum i havent got a cut and dry answer of the pros and cons between the two. If i cant fix the G2 rear-end im going to make ine a parts cart
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutches for G2/G9

Stock clutches are made to engage real low rpm, very smoothly, so as not to bother golfers looking for comfort and quietness. They only shift back on a big hill if they have to. They are made with least parts for durability, and do not easily adjust.

Comet you can adjust engagement and shift rpm. Comet is back in business now but I don't know about parts availability. They said they would make them, but nobody seems to know. If you trail ride you can get a lot harder takeoff with a comet, in particular if you put a larger engine in. It all depends on what you use the cart for.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

driving around the neighborhood and a pit vehicle mainly and a little off roading
Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like either clutch would work fine for your purposes. The 94c is "better" because it can be adjusted (tuned) to perform well for a specific purpose. I have a 94c meant for an Ez-go cart on my Yamaha G1 with a Yamaha Bravo snowmobile engine on it. A stock clutch would not work well in this application because you can't tune it for proper engagement on this engine.
Parts are supposed to be available now, or soon:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...tor-pucks.html

Here is some older information that may help you understand what can be done with a 94c:

http://kawicat.tripod.com/weblog/id4.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf p.-336-346.pdf (1.83 MB, 1 views)
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

He is right, if you use a stock cart engine or near stock/stock lawn 4 stroke engine and the stock clutch can work ok....but if you use a 2 stroke or put a cam in a vanguard for example then you need a clutch you can tune up to make it run right. They will bog trying to take off at low rpm.

I will say I like the cut sheave on a stock or big block (what everyone calls a larger engine usually lawn type) G9. It gives a lower gear and that helps with towing and climbing, plus it lets the clutch shift up faster on takeoff. It does nothing once you get moving. You can buy or cut it yourself they just cut the inside some so they pinch the belt closer at rest. The belt will stick out the top of the secondary a little. I was rebuilding that one it had holes worn through it anyway so I put a cut sheave on.

Some say on a stock cart the comet engages a little harder its not as smooth, but you will get that with many clutches at higher engagement rpm. At low rpm the stock ones work at they are likely the smoothest that is what they are made for, likely smoother than a comet set to engage that low if they can get that slow that is about the limit for them.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

thanks guys
Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

so would i benefit from using the comet and a power spring for off-roading?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Usually the springs in the secondary are used with stock clutches, many take them out if they put in a larger engine. I would try a new primary like a comet without one first, see you can't adjust a stock primary and that is best place to change how they shift....thus you see the secondary kits. I do like the cut secondary sheave and I will be putting one on my cart or getting mine cut down. It makes for a lower initial gear and it takes off a little harder, tows better, better up steep hills, etc. It does not affect higher speeds. You can also wind the stock secondary harder (preload) for more rpm at less than full throttle. It will be more 'snappy', but louder and take more gas. However you can wind it up about any amount, stock they don't wind it very far that is why the rpm drop a lot at part throttle and it takes longer to react when you floor it. There is also a factory yamahauler spring that is supposed to be a little stiffer, for the work carts and limo carts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha