lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
David Y.
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 wireing harness FIRE headlights

Help guys,
Today I hooked up my headlights on my Yamaha G9 and tapped into a wire that got power only when the switch was turned on.

The wire i choose came right off of the key switch and as soon as i turned the lights on for the first time the whole harness caught on fire.

I was able to put it out in time before it hurt anything else....

Where should i tap into for my headlights??????
and what would have caused this
any idea how much it will cost to replace this.?

Thanks
David Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 wireing harness FIRE headlights

Run a switch directly to the pos post of the battery. Also ground directly to the battery neg post.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
bersh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Y. View Post
Help guys,
Today I hooked up my headlights on my Yamaha G9 and tapped into a wire that got power only when the switch was turned on.

The wire i choose came right off of the key switch and as soon as i turned the lights on for the first time the whole harness caught on fire.

I was able to put it out in time before it hurt anything else....

Where should i tap into for my headlights??????
and what would have caused this
any idea how much it will cost to replace this.?

Thanks
Did the factory harness from the ignition switch fry, or your harness for your lights? If the ignition harness, there are plenty of places online that sell factory harnesses, but no clue on cost, and no clue if it is part of the main harness or a sub harness. Google it and you should be able to find some electrical schematics for your year with part numbers. Depending on how bad it is you might be able to splice in and just replace the damaged wire on your own.

That ignition wire isn't meant to handle the current draw of headlights. Those small wires only send a control signal to the ignition module and starter solenoid, they don't' carry any load. Depending on if/where you put the fuse something had to give so the wire worked as the fuse and fried.

You should use a relay. You can tap into that ignition wire and use it as the positive feed to the switch. Run from the switch to the relay. This takes any real load off both the factory wire and the switch. It also won't allow the lights to be on unless the ignition is on.

Make sure you run all grounds, as well as the positive feed to the relay, directly to the battery.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It should have a 10A fuse in the factory wire, 10A should not fry it. There is only one power wire that goes through the key, the pedal switch, to the ignition and starter relay. Use a relay off it or your own wire to the battery like stated. You can hook into the battery cable on the starter if you want, but don't use factory wires for power. Also you have to ground the lights or anything because the cart frame is not grounded, usually the ground has a fuse in it too that will blow. Only the engine cradle is grounded on the cart for the engine.

Get a new harness or repair it, or make your own.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlights, wire harness
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha