lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default what a diffrence new parts make

put in new motor mounts, after my welded ones kinda failed and part of the front motor/generator mount broke, I had to weld the gen mount, and as part of the motor mount failter it also took out the belt, while my son was on it in the middle of the woods a half mile from home, when the belt failed it wrapped a bunch of cords around the front pulley so when he stopped it wouldn't pull anymore . he had to walk home i cut the cords off and limped it home on the original belt from 1989 that was on the cart when i got it, (again)

i ordered a new set of genuine Yamaha mounts and a Gates polylink belt , man what a difference new correct mounts make, seems to start off smoother and doesn't vibrate the whole cart,

and the gates belt makes a cool whistle/whine when warmed up.
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: what a diffrence new parts make

Did you put the motor mount tensioner in as well? It keeps the motor mounts from flexing to the rear as the clutch engages the belt.
Edit* thats the way it is on my G1, not sure what model you have.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadady View Post

and the gates belt makes a cool whistle/whine when warmed up.
Sound like a Turbo spooling up? do make sure you have the little tension cable on the front of your motor, It really does help.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

tension cable is there, i'll check my manual and see if it's adjusted enough

*edit, just read, it's suppose to be 2mm, it's about 1/4", but it's 40deg. and raining outside, so it will wait
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

I've been doing some work on my cart over the winter and need to order the tensioner myself. How is it measured? Also where did you get yours, I've looked at all the site sponsors and can't find one and the only place I could find wanted more for shipping than for the tensioner.
SlurpJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

well the easiest place I found OEM yamahauler parts is TNT golf http://www.tntgolfcar.com/ . and the tentioner gap was found in the service manual i got from a member on here, just find the service manual thread and ask there
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I set mine with a GPS. If you tighten them up you get better holeshot and towing but eventually kill top speed. So I tightened until it ran slower then backed it off a little. It works great. I have a G9. All I did was take a run down a long drive for top speed check, but my cart has no governor either and does 28gps on dirt on 22s. I hit 26 and loosened it up a little.

When the engine moves from torque it screws up the shifting of the clutches, that is why it is needed. The more load the more it screws it up and will be hard on the mounts. I doubt it matters if it is out of adjustment, mine had broken I got a new one from a local dealer.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
. If you tighten them up you get better holeshot and towing but eventually kill top speed.

never thought about this, welded mounts make a big diffrence, but it shook its self to death. i don't care about top speed, it's a farm cart and gets used as a small tractor
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I should have said I don't think it will hurt the mounts if it is out of adjustment long as it is on there.

You can make one, a guy on there made one from a eye screw or something another welded a washer on a bolt somehow. It just keeps the engine from pulling over towards the trans. Likely they used a cable so it had less vibration and no noise/etc. I bought it at a dealer here it was not that much iirc. Also using stock clutches that need all the help they can get.

I had a short steep hill and would stop on it, then take off. With it tight it would gain rpm and take off. The looser it was the slower rpm would climb from idle (until it had enough power to go up the hill from a dead stop). With it loose it would sit there and bog and not move, at low rpm. However on the flats it didn't make as much difference due to there not being a big load on it. Tightening it, it would get to a point of cutting speed it would not shift out all the way. That was maybe 1-2 seconds or less to hit mid rpm and move up the hill from dead stop. My final setting with full top speed it took at least 2 seconds for the clutch to spin up to mid rpm and move up the hill. Not very scientific at all, but all I can tell you lol. Using a hand gps is the easiest way long as you don't have a governor.

I pulled boats out of a lake with this, as well as pulling trailers around and such. So I had to have good takeoff power. What also helped is before that I tried things with the clutches and what helped is I ground the ramps down a little. If you look at then the end of the ramp is the lowest gear, I ground the angle down on that last 1/3 of the ramp or so. I took down no more than 1/8 inch at the end of the ramp to nothing ~1/3 the way up. Have to make sure it will not fall off the ramps don't take that much off. I made a jig to measure it and used a 4" grinder, got them all the same think I scribed a line on the outside also. I could turn it to each ramp and check it. Anyway that helped take off it revs up under about 5mph after that, not much change empty because it shifts much faster. Another cart I put a cut sheave on that really helped it has a lower gear so it has more power and gets to high rpm faster. Then put a clone in that one, it really takes off quick considering stock clutches. It takes about 1 second to hit full shift rpm (3500rpm?) with two people on it from not running start...using gen to start like stock.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha