lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Tips for buying a trailer to haul cart

Up until now, if we needed to have our riding mowers serviced, we paid for them to be transported. Now I have the golf cart. We live in a rural area.
I have found a few people in the area who could work on them, but I would have to transport the car there myself.
(10-20 miles). We're thinking we need to buy a trailer to transport it.
We would also want it to transport our riding mowers when they need serviced too.
Any suggestions to a person who doesn't know anything about these things?
Single/double axle? I'm not sure of the mower's weight, but I have the feeling its more than my cart. DH has a Ford Explorer with a hitch.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Designmine
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Tips for buying a trailer to haul cart

You should be fine with a single axle trailer, typically they come with 3500lb axles (some of the smaller dinky ones are less but anything with a 14" or 15" wheels should be a 3500lb one. I would get at least a 6x12 with a ramp gate on the back. There isn't much to look for in a trailer other than if the bearings are good or not and its not full of rust. With that small of a trailer you will have either a 1 7/8"s or 2" ball. Get a drop hitch for your Explorer so the trailer sits fairly level when its hooked up. Craigslist can be your friend finding a trailer!
Designmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Even if your cart is lifted with off road tires extended outside the body the total width is only going to be about 50 inches. A 5X8 trailer is more than big enough to handle your cart. The average 5X8 will be rated for around 2200 pounds. Again, more than enough for your cart. Trailers can get quite pricey, even for used ones. The bigger the trailer, the more the cost. Your local Lowe's, Home Depot or Menards should have both the 5X8 and 6X12 rear ramp trailers in stock. Try to avoid the stamped steel frame variety as they are not usually rated high enough to carry a cart.
As stated, anything with 14 or 15 inch wheels will do the job. The trailer size and carry rating should be on a tage located near the hitch. One more thought: many states adjust the license fee based upon the carry rating of the trailer. Here, in Delawre, I was able to rate my 5X8 at 2000 pounds instead of the manufactures 2200 pounds. That saved me 45 dollars a year on registration fees.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Jim-Baloo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2007 PDS which is lifted and has larger tires and a Rear seat. To put the cart on in forward direction and have the rear gate clear the rear step for the back seat I need a 5X10 trailer.
Jim-Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hmmmm.......a registration? I guess I hadn't thought of that!
Yes, I have a lifted, with rear seat and big tires. I would definitely measure things before buying anything.
Denny........you mentioned avoiding the stamped steel frame. What should I look for?

While I have you all here, I have a question about towing it. When my previous cart mechanic picked it up the last time to service it, he didn't tie it down at all. I asked him if it would be okay and he said yes. Nothing happened to it, but it seemed a little risky to me. What do you think?
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Designmine
Not Yet Wild

Tie it down! While I have done the same for short runs it really is not safe at all. All it takes is for someone to stop short in front of you or for you to swerve for the cart to come off the trailer. I even tie it down in my enclosed trailer!
Designmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

ALWAYS tie it down!
Even when they are tied down, I've had them move a little from sided to side.

While not exactly what we want to happen, when this person loaded the bike and tied it down I'm sure they did not anticipate this.

Since it was tied down, it didnt wander off and take out another car.

Not securing any load is irresponsible and WILL make you liable in the eyes of the law.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Buy a trailer a little larger than you think you will need. I started with one "just" large enough for my cart at the time. I added the lift and the trailer was too small. Had to go back and get a larger one.

You'll want the trailer larger enough so that you have room enough to adjust your load. If you have too much weight behind the axle, you have a miserable time hauling it.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

SR is right, get one just a little larger, you will end up using to haul, wood, and different things. I bought mine just for the reason of hauling my golf cart, heck it has hauled a bunch of things now. You will be surprised on what you will use it for.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Utility trailers come built in one of two ways. Either heavy guage angle iron, (steel) or tubing. The tubing is probably stronger, size for size, but also more expensive. And I completely agree with tie downs. At the very minimum, one to the front and one to the rear or any other method that makes the immovable.

http://www.trailersplus.com/Virginia...&Category=Flt5

Here's a link to show some decent angle iron built trailers. The mesh floor is a bit cheaper but won't protect your cart from debris thrown up from underneath. It also weakens over the years and begins to sag. As you can see, there isn't much difference in price, from one length to the nest, as long as the width remains the same.
P.S. I have no affiliation with this company. They just happen to be one of the first to come up with the right kind of pictures.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO