lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZ GO consumes batteries

Anything more than a 5v drop is suspect. There could be lots of reasons for this drop (bad cables, F&R connections, motor wear, etc) but do the test for all the batteries and see if there isn't a red flag there first.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

Lunchtime testing. The cart was fresh off of the charger. I started charging it at 6 pm last night, so firing it up at noon I am not sure when the charging cycle would have ended. I headed down the steep hill and attached my meter to the first battery, then traveled 1/3 up the hill noting the starting at rest voltage, and the lowest voltage. I stopped, switched batteries, and did it again. After three batts, I went back down the hill and did the last three. all batteries started at 6.7 volts, and ended at 6.0, 5.9, 5.8, 5.9, 5.8, 5.8. I then tested the whole bank all the way up the hill, it started at 38.7, and ended at 32.7. I then let the cart sit for 20 minutes, and the voltage was then 39.1. The meter I am using is a fluke 337, which only goes to one tenth volt.
seanmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

Did everyone give up on me?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your first test indicates that your batteries provided a loaded voltage of 35.2 volts going up that hill. Without knowing exactly how steep your hill is, 35.2 volts under load doesn't sound too bad. (I'm comparing your cart's voltage to mine running on flat ground. Mine is a stock unlifted 36 V. PDS with speed chip installed). Your second run up the hill showed that, (as scottyb said previously), you may have one or more batteries starting to give up as your under load voltage dropped to 32.7 volts. You may need to try the load test after running the batteries down for a while and when you first begin to notice your cart's performance starting to fail. Running the load test at this time may show what battery or batteries are the weakest.

FWIW - When my batteries started to cause problems for me I performed a similar running load test. I had one battery with much lower capacity than the other 5. The terminal voltage of that battery dropped to 2 volts under load and was a dead give-away that it was the bad one. As was mentioned earlier a permanently mounted digital meter lets you monitor battery condition at all times and I would also recommend one. Your high voltage measurements indicate that your batteries haven't rested enough before you take your measurements. Hope this helps - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 03-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: correction
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
Jack12002
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bite the bullet and buy a 6 pack of Trojans. Better to be safe then sorry has always been my motto! :)
Jack12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmuldoon View Post
Lunchtime testing.
1. The cart was fresh off of the charger. I started charging it at 6 pm last night, so firing it up at noon I am not sure when the charging cycle would have ended.

2. I headed down the steep hill and attached my meter to the first battery, then traveled 1/3 up the hill noting the starting at rest voltage, and the lowest voltage. I stopped, switched batteries, and did it again. After three batts, I went back down the hill and did the last three.

3. all batteries started at 6.7 volts, and ended at 6.0, 5.9, 5.8, 5.9, 5.8, 5.8.

4. I then tested the whole bank all the way up the hill, it started at 38.7, and ended at 32.7.

5. I then let the cart sit for 20 minutes, and the voltage was then 39.1.

6. The meter I am using is a fluke 337, which only goes to one tenth volt.
1. If the Power Wise charger you are using looks similar to the one in the attached picture, starting the charge at 6PM one evening and taking voltage measurements the next day at noon, should have produced some valid voltage readings.

2. Reasonable good test procedure.

3. The start voltage is remarkably high, but no individual batteries dropped significantly more than the others.

4. The voltage drop under load was 6.0V, and as shown in the individual battery tests, none of the batteries is significantly worse than the others, so they are all bad.
OR the cart is drawing a tremendous number of amps.
Is it a PDS cart, or does it have a series wound motor?
What size tires are on it? (Tall tires draw more amps. Stock tires are 18 x 8.50 - 8.)

5. Except for the pack voltage being remarkably high at the end, this is normal.

6.A. The Fluke 337 series meters are fine meters and perform admirably in the tasks they are designed for, but troubleshoot golf carts isn't one of those tasks, since it cannot define individual battery voltages with high enough resolution.

6.B. Ironically, $15 Digital Multi-Meters sold in blister packages at a discount store, work better for troubleshooting golf carts than $400 Fluke 337's.

6.C. Your specific Fluke 337 appears to be reading abnormally high. If possible, do a side by side comparison with another meter.

----------
I'm speculating, but I suspect your battery pack is shot.

The root cause of why your cart kills batteries so fast needs to be investigated.

Economy grade batteries (like those sold at Costco) don't last as long as standard grade batteries (225AH) or premium grade batteries, but they ought to last longer than a year unless the cart is drawing an abnormally high amount of amps, or they are not being charged or maintained properly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Before you give up on this, you could try a "sorta equalize" on your batteries by initiating a recharge two or three times in quick succession and see if there is any improvement. (This has been recommended in many previous posts by johnnieb). Good luck - RAY
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
1. If the Power Wise charger you are using looks similar to the one in the attached picture, starting the charge at 6PM one evening and taking voltage measurements the next day at noon, should have produced some valid voltage readings.

2. Reasonable good test procedure.

3. The start voltage is remarkably high, but no individual batteries dropped significantly more than the others.

4. The voltage drop under load was 6.0V, and as shown in the individual battery tests, none of the batteries is significantly worse than the others, so they are all bad.
OR the cart is drawing a tremendous number of amps.
Is it a PDS cart, or does it have a series wound motor?
What size tires are on it? (Tall tires draw more amps. Stock tires are 18 x 8.50 - 8.)

5. Except for the pack voltage being remarkably high at the end, this is normal.

6.A. The Fluke 337 series meters are fine meters and perform admirably in the tasks they are designed for, but troubleshoot golf carts isn't one of those tasks, since it cannot define individual battery voltages with high enough resolution.

6.B. Ironically, $15 Digital Multi-Meters sold in blister packages at a discount store, work better for troubleshooting golf carts than $400 Fluke 337's.

6.C. Your specific Fluke 337 appears to be reading abnormally high. If possible, do a side by side comparison with another meter.

----------
I'm speculating, but I suspect your battery pack is shot.

The root cause of why your cart kills batteries so fast needs to be investigated.

Economy grade batteries (like those sold at Costco) don't last as long as standard grade batteries (225AH) or premium grade batteries, but they ought to last longer than a year unless the cart is drawing an abnormally high amount of amps, or they are not being charged or maintained properly.

The cart is PDS with stock tires. I am wondering what would kill the batteries so fast. I will purchase an additional meter today at lunch for more accurate testing. What would be a typical amp draw for a stock cart on a level, and a steep hill?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I suggest you also read the following very recent post. It has a lot of good information that may help. - RAY

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-now-what.html
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmuldoon View Post
The cart is PDS with stock tires. I am wondering what would kill the batteries so fast. I will purchase an additional meter today at lunch for more accurate testing. What would be a typical amp draw for a stock cart on a level, and a steep hill?
At a steady speed on level pavement, from about 50A up to around 70A or so.
During acceleration or going up a steep hill, up to whatever the controller is rated for. (Stock 2003 PDS would be 300A)

What PDS mode are you running in?

Does the cart push freely by hand?
It weighs half a ton, so it take a bit to get it moving, but it shouldn't take much to keep it moving. No more than pushing a grocery cart.

What make/model/size are the tires? (Carlisle Links 18X8.50-8 is a typical stock tire)
What are they inflated to?

Do any of the cables get hot?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO