lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default advice on speed of my cart. getting 15mph was hoping for 20..

I have an Alltrax DCX 400 amp controller and a 200 amp continuous 800 peak amp solenoid. It also has the 4 gauge cables on it. they are new. I installed them on my 96 DCS. the cart is stock except for these 2 items. I ordered the pkg # 505 from scottyb. I was hoping to get 20 mph from it is but only getting 15mph.. Now, I am not crying about this.. Because i have had nothing but GREAT service and help from scottyb and this site. I was just wanting to know if there is something else that could enhance the performance of the cart.. TIA....

Could it be because the cart is 16 yrs old and the mptor just can not perform as it should.. AGAIN, I AM NOT COMPLAINING.. just curious...
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: advice on speed of my cart. getting 15mph was hoping for 20..

I have a 97 dcs, stock motor.I added 2 more batteries(48v) and a 48v solenoid and now running 26-27 mph
brownleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

brownleaf... you doing this on a stock motor and controller??? if so, I am impressed..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Like brownleaf said, upping the pack voltage will increase speed.
So will taller tires.
So will having Plum Quick do their magic on you motor. (Maybe it has worn brushes or gummed up bearings)
However, you ought to be getting more than 15MPH, so lets try to find out way you aren't.

What are the settings on your controller?
The following will give you max speed:
Field Map = #3 (Same controller is used for both DCS and PDS carts - DCS field map is #3 and PDS is #4)
Turbo box selected.
Max Output Current slider at 100%
Top Speed slider at 100%

Are all 10 high current cables 4Ga?

What is the voltage between the A1 and A2 studs on motor when cart is at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on level ground?
What is battery pack voltage between the A1 and A2 studs when cart is at WOT on level ground?
They should be the same, or mighty close top it.

I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that just installing a DCX400 (and suitable solenoid) in an otherwise stock DCS (in good condition) will kick the top speed up close to 20MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownleaf View Post
I have a 97 dcs, stock motor.I added 2 more batteries(48v) and a 48v solenoid and now running 26-27 mph
On stock height tires (about 18") with stock differential gears (12.44:1), the motor is spinning from 6,100 to 6,500 RPM (depending on exact tire height) to reach 26-27 MPH. Hopefully it has good bearings in it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

Stock motor but also have the alltrax 400. Been going 4 years now.....tires are stock...4 gauge wires
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

johnnieb.. I have not put it on the computer yet!!! When i got it from scottyb, He said it was maxed out... So I am assuming it is. I will have to check it. I also have a broken spring. It will be here on Wed. I will put it on That evening and try to get the readings back to you.. Yes, all 10 cables are 4 gauge. I am going to go to 2 gauge. I have a friend that works in a coal mine and he is getting me 25' of 2/0 cable. I am sure that should help. Is the best way to check the speed of the cart with a gps. or is that where i could be getting a false reading? Thanks...
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Turbo selection may be turned off for maximum torque. Selecting turbo will increase top speed when the gas is held WOT for 10 seconds or more but ..... you will sacrifice available torque at all speeds. If you want to off road you have to sacrifice some speed. Selecting turbo may indeed get you to 20 mph.

Test your GPS against your car speedometer to establish reliability.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
On stock height tires (about 18") with stock differential gears (12.44:1), the motor is spinning from 6,100 to 6,500 RPM (depending on exact tire height) to reach 26-27 MPH. Hopefully it has good bearings in it.
Bearings good so far...no noise...LOL The thrill is slipping up behind these jacked up, big tire carts, pulling beside them waving and punch it!! Priceless!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK... I have never had it hooked up to a computer.. Is this a pretty simple task.. do i need to download something? if so.. where do i get it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO