lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Fozzy locker on G16?

Been gearing up for Spring (no pun intended) and the next upgrade is traction control for my rear end G16. I have read alot and looked at many threads both golf carts and car/trucks regarding the welding of spider gears to "lock" the rear end. One issue that I always see is the steering problems that is the result of doing this mod. Granted I ride the trails but also do some street driving as well so that is a big issue. I don't want to get it walking on me when turning on a regular street. Another point is limited slip rear end kits that may or may not be good at locking up when truly needed or under the right conditions that the cart needs full traction.

The fozzy locker mod I found involves welding up the spider gears, only two I believe of the 4 in the Yamaha, but leaving about a 180 degree space between the gear teeth open so that a portion of the gear is still able to move or "lock" into position once traction is need as opposed to being in a constant lock from welding the gears completely. The idea is to make turning easier as well as possible going back to a stock rear end without replacing a whole new one.

I am sure I left out steps in this mod as I am still gathering info on this. I do not know if anyone has done this type of mod other than just welding the spider gears completely on a golf cart. I have read it being done on cars and 4x4's with great success.

I have also looked into Plowmans posi mod for my cart as well but I have a carrier that his kit will not work on. Mine year carrier is too small and to solve this I can replace my carrier with a newer, bigger rebuilt one and have the posi added to that to install.

Again, welding the spider gears completely sounds a bit bad since there is no reversing if I want to go back. The fozzy locker mod seems a bit more sensible that if going back all I would have to do is replace spider gears.

Oh and there is the idea as well of blowing out the rear end completely from the modifications thus being screwed completely.
MrNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fozzy locker on G16?

i just had my ezgo rear diff completly apart and was gonna do this as well but decided id rather have my cart to ride than have it break the axle splines or worse,something in the diff.after i just re did 10 bearings and now its like new
theres not many gears in the diff thats less than 3-400 bucks a shot in my case..so im keepin and eye out for a bigger carrier for mine also,or a newer rear end for a good price
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha