lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
mfaust2807
Not Yet Wild

Default '05 mechanical problems...need advice.

I have an '05 EZ Go Electric that all of a sudden this weekend wouldn't run.

A few months ago my headlights wouldn't turn off even with the key removed from the switch (switch as 3 settings: off, on, on + headlinghts).

1) So I disconnected the headlight wire that was direct to the batteries....problem solved (yeah, right!).

2) Next I re-connected the headlight wire, but put a toggle switch in the middle so I could turn the lights on and off.

Apparently when I put the toggle switch in, it caused a problem with the starter switch that caused 2 of the wires on the back to overheat and melted the plastic insulation around them. I re-wired those this weekend, and the cart still won't work.

Is there something wrong with the starter swith now? Maybe it shorted out when the wires melted? I've also been told maybe the solenoid is bad? I have NO CLUE what the solenoid is or where on the cart it is.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.
mfaust2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: '05 mechanical problems...need advice.

Given the symptoms, won't run AND headlights won't turn off, I would check the switch first. Wiring could also cause the above, but the insulation would have to have failed on both the 12 volt power wire, and the headlight wire, AND both come in contact with each other, in order to always stay on. Bad wires causing the cart to not go is a lot more likely than the above.

Assuming it's the key switch...

Disconnect the four wires from the back of the key switch, after noting where they go, then check continuity. The switch is actually two switches in one. One (36 volts) that makes at the last two clicks, which powers the controller/solenoid circuit. The other (12 volts) only makes at the last click, which powers the lights.

You should have NO continuity between those two circuits, and no continuity when the key switch is in the "off" position.

Report back. Also, when you rewired the melted wires, did that fix the headlights?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Go here and report back exactly what type of buggy you have, so others can help:

Golf Cart Serial Number Lookup:

http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

Controller/Motor Type:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...-ezgoguide.jpg

Download the appropriate manuals here, to help in troubleshooting:

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

My buggy doesn't have stock lights, so I've never paid attention to their wiring diagrams before.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
mfaust2807
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Yurtle....I'll definately check it out and report back. We keep the cart at a vacation place in FL so I'll mess with it again in a few weeks when I'm back down there.

When you say "check for continuity" what does that mean? I'm not the most mechanically/electrically inclined!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
mfaust2807
Not Yet Wild

I had a typo earlier...it's an '03, not an '05. The model is EZGO PDS, and it's a DCS (saw that in an earlier post as an important piece of info) b/c it's got a run/tow switch.

In that same post I saw mention of a solenoid, or controller possibly being bad. How do I check those things before replaceing them to see what's wrong?

Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO