lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: front brake w/ stock back brake???

Ok . So I'm pretty well convinced to install disk brakes on my cart. I realize more is better but the price goes up in proportion....I do want the hydraulic brakes.

Who's got disk brakes? wheelsca? Other? Love them or hate them? Not worth $
Jakes don't fit my cart.

I'm in the TX hill country. Big grade changes. Both on and off road. Standard rear brakes don't cut it and my kids drive the cart too. They don't have the adult leg power to really smash down the brakes....it takes a lot to lock up rear wheels.
This series cart cruises around 16mph but gets to mid/upper 20's on grades.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Knowing what I know about hydraulic brakes as well as being an owner of the Ausco mechanical rear disc setup, I wonder how you guys managed to make an effective hybrid brake system. Are you sure your rear brakes are actually doing anything? Pedal modulation HAS to be different on the two systems, so I suspect you are stopping (much better) with the front brakes only. Balancing the two systems has to be a nightmare, and adding two adults to the back seat changes everything. I'm not knocking what you have done, just thinking out loud.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd like to know too....however what Scott said in his post makes perfect sense and points to the sensibility of trying to jack with two different systems under a single small application....especially when my kids are involved.

The forces at play on a lifted golf cart in a panic braking situation are more than I care to ponder; so I just want the cart to be able to stop quickly and effectively.

The rear drum brakes suck. They take too much effort to really stop effectively for my taste; especially on my lifted cart going downhill.

I thought to add front disks as a supplement, however recalled the wonderful marriage of disk/drum configurations of the automotive past...(fade to dream sequence).....

So, full circle....I think the "better" is 2 rear, or "best" is 4 disks. I'd like to know if anyone has "been there done that" and to pick their brain.....
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Interesting questions and posts. Stock OEM rear drum brake linings should beable to handle most situations, aftermarket brake linings have no "grabbing" capability in my experiance. The old addadge....you get what you pay for. Last note, Yamaha's Umax's came with front and rear cable actuated drum brakes, and (like scottyb said) if the fronts are to tight.. your going to "noes dive" or pull hard left or right when braking. Good luck on your choice up brake upgrade.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I started with the the stock drums. After upgrading motor, 650 alltrax, 2ga cables, drop axle lift and 22 tires there was no stopping quick. Had a couple of close calls with cars, upgraded to ausco better, but not enough. As sportcoupe said the squeak. I added Jakes discs and loved the combo.

I have had to play with adjusting the cable to get it right, they work together, but trully think the front Jakes are doing most of the work.

I just added a Jakes long travel and the squeal is back, more adjustment is needed on brake cables and I am going to try new pads for auscos. If I new better and in your spot 4 wheel discs are the way to stop. By this fall I will have a 4 wheel set. Save yourself some moolah and do the 4 wheel discs you won't be unhappy. My friend has a set up like mine with 4 wheel hydraulic discs, there quiet and awesome stopping. You do need some foot power, as mentioned there not power.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
I started with the the stock drums. After upgrading motor, 650 alltrax, 2ga cables, drop axle lift and 22 tires there was no stopping quick. Had a couple of close calls with cars, upgraded to ausco better, but not enough. As sportcoupe said the squeak. I added Jakes discs and loved the combo.

I have had to play with adjusting the cable to get it right, they work together, but trully think the front Jakes are doing most of the work.

I just added a Jakes long travel and the squeal is back, more adjustment is needed on brake cables and I am going to try new pads for auscos. If I new better and in your spot 4 wheel discs are the way to stop. By this fall I will have a 4 wheel set. Save yourself some moolah and do the 4 wheel discs you won't be unhappy. My friend has a set up like mine with 4 wheel hydraulic discs, there quiet and awesome stopping. You do need some foot power, as mentioned there not power.

So the Jakes is a hydraulic system for the front coupled with a ausco cable disk for the back. You're the second person to talk about brake squeal from the auscos....not a selling point!
Thanks for the information!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Two things cause brake squeal.
pad composition and foreign material
Ausco makes HD pads, they must be different composition but not sure if they squeal?
Road dust can cause squeal.

The 4 wheel set up from Wheelsca is awesome.
I'm using it on my big block off road cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty the HD pads is a good idea, I am going to give them a try. I live near the beach and there's sand everywhere, I will post after install. Just had surgery this morning and have only been able to ride once since my long travel was installed, wow what a difference in the smooth ride from drop axle.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well fellows, all I can tell you is that the Jakes on the front and the factory drums on the back do in fact work. When I press on my brake peddle the front disc brakes engage and the rear drums engage. In fact, when the cart sits for a few days in humid weather and any rust forms in the drums, the rear drums will rust and then squeal. So, I will put the cart in reverse, back it up about 3 times and jam on the brakes to clear out the rust AND re-set the self-adjuster's of the drum brakes.

It works. What else can I say.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
My stock brakes will squeal the tires with three passengers at over 35 mph. Stock tires. Bigger ones may need more.

Links:

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
Yurtle, after reading the biggest part of this thread.....and the fact that you can get that type of braking out of your cart. I went and "Tinkered" a bit today....now my cart doesn't go quite as fast, but I am running 23's....and after my tinkering, at full throttle (27 mph) my stock drums will lock those bad boys up!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO