lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default How Well Do The Steering Wheel Locks Work?

I am getting more concerned about someone stealing my cart. I have a unique key switch but I also looking into securing the seat and adding some type of wheel or steering wheel lock. I like the steering wheel lock that hooks to the floor pedal. I wondered how well these work.

I know that nothing is theft proof but I think thieves want to get in and out quickly so adding many layers of protection might deter them.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How Well Do The Steering Wheel Locks Work?

It is a plastic golf cart how hard can they be to steal no matter your best mechanical efforts?

If the steering were locked up on my cart to a pedal I'm sure I could bend the steering wheel enough to pop the lock or simply cut the wheel with a hacksaw; most remove with a single nut anyway.

Short of chaining a large hungry guard dog to the cart your not going to stop a real thief...

Installing a hidden switch is likely one of the best deterrents to kids looking to joy ride your cart...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

adding many layers of protection might deter them.

I think it is a good idea along with perhaps a motion sensor alarm to scare the thieves away.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
It is a plastic golf cart how hard can they be to steal no matter your best mechanical efforts?

If the steering were locked up on my cart to a pedal I'm sure I could bend the steering wheel enough to pop the lock or simply cut the wheel with a hacksaw; most remove with a single nut anyway.

Short of chaining a large hungry guard dog to the cart your not going to stop a real thief...

Installing a hidden switch is likely one of the best deterrents to kids looking to joy ride your cart...
I park my cart during summer weeks in a marina parking lot with 40 other carts. I am guessing the thieves will go to a cart without a wheel lock before trying to take time to disable one.

As far as kids using the cart they won't without a unique key that fits my key switch and they also can't turn the lights on and leave them since they are on the key switch as well.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Truthfully I was 14 when I hot wired my first car, today your unique key switch would be defeated with a jumper wire in nothing flat.... If it makes you "feel" better locking your wheel while parked amoung 40 other carts then do it. I'd look for an easier cart to boost than the one with a wheel lock too.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Truthfully I was 14 when I hot wired my first car, today your unique key switch would be defeated with a jumper wire in nothing flat.... If it makes you "feel" better locking your wheel while parked amoung 40 other carts then do it. I'd look for an easier cart to boost than the one with a wheel lock too.
I really don't think that most cart thieves know much about the carts. They usually aren't well equipped with tools either. If they can drive one off with a fleet key or roll it on a trailer that is the easiest thing to do. I don't think most can cut off a lock or get past a better secured key switch plate.

The unique key switch is to discourage kids who want to joy ride and bring it back. They also like to turn lights on and leave them just to run down the batteries. If a pro thief wants my cart bad enough I am sure he can get it. I just want him to work a bit for it. Then I call my insurance company.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

In another thread about a hidden kill switch Yurtle made mention of a thought of added a locking bar between the towing hole in the front of the txt frame and the towing steering arm on the inside of the right front wheel on the TXT. Insert the hook in the wheel arm, turn it all the way left and lock it to the center hole. He never built one. After giving that some consideration I thought of a different way to lock the bar in the towing hole.

Using Yurtles idea of placing a "J" shaped rod up through the wheel arm hole on the other end weld a piece of flat steel to it with a 1/2" hole matching the tow hole in the center. To lock it just drop in a hitch pin lock made for trailer hitch receivers. You could even shorten the stem in the lock and weld on a stop to make it shorter. The stem in the lock is 1/2"OD.

Another idea is to use piece of flat steel stock with holes on each end and use two of these locks instead of the candy cane bend. Perhaps welding the lock stems to the flat bar?

My cart is 90 miles away otherwise I would fabricate one this weekend. Anyone else like this idea feel free to run with it.

Here is a hitch pin lock which runs about $12. The steel flat stock would probably be less than $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitchlock.jpg (57.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I was wondering why you asked for dimensions. I'll try and measure it tomorrow, and post some pics.

I've seen cable style bicycle locks that might work, assuming it would thread through the smaller wheel arm hole. I like the pic of the lock you posted. McMaster.com would sell round stock that could be bent and grooved to fit the lock.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
stang99x
Gone Wild

In a few days I will let you know how the seat lock I'm making is going. I made one today in a couple hours that locks the seat with an electrical mechanism. When I get all the parts I ordered specifically for the purpose, it will be controlled via a remote FOB like your car. It will be locked at all times, and your remote will allow you to open it in the same manner you'd open a car trunk. It will also have a manual backup in case of any electrical failure.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I was wondering why you asked for dimensions. I'll try and measure it tomorrow, and post some pics.

I've seen cable style bicycle locks that might work, assuming it would thread through the smaller wheel arm hole. I like the pic of the lock you posted. McMaster.com would sell round stock that could be bent and grooved to fit the lock.
McMaster also sells "J" bolts that would ease the bending process for the hook through the wheel arm. I think it would be easier to just weld the lock stem to fit the flat stock than to try to mill another groove.

The bicycle locks are much smaller and can more easily be defeated. Plus trying to get a slack free fit so the wheel can't move might be an issue.

I don't think anyone is envisioning what I am suggesting. I will try to draw out something and post it and maybe it will make more sense.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO