lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

I was wondering if there a trick to speeding up my new 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite? It is MUCH slower than my old 2010 EZ-GO & the dealer said he couldn't make it faster (btw, the turtle/rabbit speed switch has very little effect).

I've read in some posts that some folks (like Bob Boyce) know how this can be accomplished (and may even be able to modify my cart for me), but not sure how that works/costs (don't really want to start taking the cart apart and shipping parts around).

Appreciate the help; Thanks
fteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteti View Post
I was wondering if there a trick to speeding up my new 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite? It is MUCH slower than my old 2010 EZ-GO & the dealer said he couldn't make it faster (btw, the turtle/rabbit speed switch has very little effect).

I've read in some posts that some folks (like Bob Boyce) know how this can be accomplished (and may even be able to modify my cart for me), but not sure how that works/costs (don't really want to start taking the cart apart and shipping parts around).

Appreciate the help; Thanks
I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

All Elite carts must be reprogrammed with the controller in the cart. The BMS is integrated to the controller. Be aware, the Elite version of the S4 and L6 is a bad design from the factory. It is a 72V cart and motor, running from a "48 volt" type lithium pack for the RXV. Due to the lowered operating voltage, the controller must supply more current to the AC motor to retain rotor lock. This means the motor runs hotter than the same cart running from a 72V lead/acid battery pack. It can be turned up, but we do not want to turn it up as much as the 72V operated version. Turning it up all the way would result in motor overheats and shutdowns. So for motor safety we like to limit it to about 27 MPH.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

All Elite carts must be reprogrammed with the controller in the cart. The BMS is integrated to the controller. Be aware, the Elite version of the S4 and L6 is a bad design from the factory. It is a 72V cart and motor, running from a "48 volt" type lithium pack for the RXV. Due to the lowered operating voltage, the controller must supply more current to the AC motor to retain rotor lock. This means the motor runs hotter than the same cart running from a 72V lead/acid battery pack. It can be turned up, but we do not want to turn it up as much as the 72V operated version. Turning it up all the way would result in motor overheats and shutdowns. So for motor safety we like to limit it to about 27 MPH.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had done more research before buying it. We were pleased w/ our old EZ-Go cart and (since we often leave the cart unattended for weeks/months) I had thought the Lithium batteries were going to be a big plus for us.

As far as I know, the dealer didn't modify anything. Using my iPhone speed app, we recorded speeds of ~14mph (turtle mode) to ~16mph (rabbit mode). Not great accuracy from the app, but the range was fairly consistent (range ~13-17mph). I don't need to be on open roads, so 27mph would be much better than what I have.

If the controller has to be programmed in the cart, how can I get someone to do that (or give me a clue on how to do it)? I've read that you travel to certain folks; any chance you'll be in the Charlotte, NC area some time?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Last edited by fteti; 06-07-2020 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: replied to wrong person
Old 06-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, not sure if it helps ..
I just took a look & on top of the model info tag w/ the following info...
Model: 1234SE-6350
Voltage: 80V
Current: 350A
Date Code: 19155P
there's a sticker applied w/ the following info:
ADVBL6/Lx6
Software: 6974022 REV: B2
SVC_Controller: 697454

PS: The turtle/rabbit switch does have a slight effect. Using the SpeedBox app on my phone... in turtle mode I get a steady 14mph (max) & in rabbit mode I get a steady 16mph (max).
Old 06-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

PM usgicollector to get on the list...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
sirtone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteti View Post
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had done more research before buying it. We were pleased w/ our old EZ-Go cart and (since we often leave the cart unattended for weeks/months) I had thought the Lithium batteries were going to be a big plus for us.

As far as I know, the dealer didn't modify anything. Using my iPhone speed app, we recorded speeds of ~14mph (turtle mode) to ~16mph (rabbit mode). Not great accuracy from the app, but the range was fairly consistent (range ~13-17mph). I don't need to be on open roads, so 27mph would be much better than what I have.

If the controller has to be programmed in the cart, how can I get someone to do that (or give me a clue on how to do it)? I've read that you travel to certain folks; any chance you'll be in the Charlotte, NC area some time?

Thanks
I would like to get in on this too! I have the same cart it's a elite, but i'm in ohio
sirtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
mdock1988
Not Yet Wild

I have an 2020 L4 Shoreline that I get the same, 14 and 16MPH. What are my options? I live in Kansas.
mdock1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
jeremyaz1
Not Yet Wild

Have a new EZGO S4 Lithium and would love to know if speeding this up to 27mph (Bob's recommendation) could be accomplished here in Flagstaff, AZ? Thanks!
jeremyaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
Ez slo 6
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2020 ezgo elite L6 that I need some speed adjustments done on. Does anyone know if there is a Bob Boyce on the west coast. I am in Southern Cali
Ez slo 6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2020, elite, ez-go, modify, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO