lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
maereese
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 93 Club Car just won't go!

93 Club Car had a melted battery post, then the V-glide assembly was rebuilt (brush only,I think). Still would only last for 15-20 min. Bought a new charger. Then bought 6 new Diehard Batteries! Still only lasts for 15-20 minutes. What's wrong? I have pictures in my profile of my cart under "An Apple a Day" if needed. I have had her battery cables checked. I hooked them up by the schematics.

I want to be the one to fix her!
I am a novice so abbreviations might not work to well with me just yet if you don't mind.

She was an original CC until I took over about 10 yrs ago. Its taken me some time, but she will show her inner wildness soon!
maereese is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 93 Club Car just won't go!

Welcome to B.G.W.!

This is the build of my older cart:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-club-car.html

The BEST thing I did for it was to convert it over to a solid state controller system and get rid of the resistor setup.

ScottyB has a good system to convert it over to solid state and if I could do mine over, I would have gone that route to begin with.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Scotty...rsion_Kit.html

I also converted over to 48 Volts in the process and left the 36 Volt motor in the cart. My old cart flat moves right now and I can't get to full throttle because of a broken V-Glide (Throttle Controller).

My run times are MUCH longer and I don't have the headaches of the constantly breaking resistors and solenoids (the coil things and the parts they are attached to behind your batteries).

I would honestly suggest getting hold of him on here and seeing what his recommendations for your cart are.

Trust me, if I can fix my cart with a blown out disk in my lower back and a torn rotor cuff in my left shoulder, you should be able to get yours done too. Besides, nothing beats being able to say: "I did it myself!"

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, I just checked your pictures and have a question. Your cart is a 36 Volt cart which should have Six 6 Volt batteries.

When the batteries were replaced, did you put 8 Volt or 12 Volt batteries in there instead of 6 Volt batteries?

Most of the 6 Volt batteries I have seen have 3 fill caps where your batteries have 4.

If you have put 8 Volt batteries in it, there is a good chance something burnt up since Six 8 Volt batteries equals 48 Volts.

If you put 12 Volt batteries in it, something DEFINITELY burnt up since Six 12 Volt batteries equals 72 Volts!

Please let us know the battery voltage so we can know which direction to try and help with,
-Scott H.

P.S.

You might want to check into the conversion in my first post. Lifted carts with bigger than stock tires don't play well with a resistor cart's electrical system.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . good catch . . . definitely look like 8v batteries based on number of cells . . .

. . . what is the battery model number that you put in? . . . it looks like this one:

Sears Golf Cart Battery (8v)

. . . I think this is the one you need:

Sears Golf Cart Battery (6v)

. . . it should be noted that NOWHERE on either of the above links do they tell you what voltage the battery is . . only by counting the cells can one figure it out (2v per cell) . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good eye Scott H. Further study of the picture reveals a series F&R on the right and a bank of resistor coils on the left.

You can not run 48v through the old 36v resistor coil systems without melting something down... the V glide is usually the first thing to go. Exchange the batteries for 6v and repair the damage or complete the upgrade to Solid State and 48v.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . good catch . . . definitely look like 8v batteries based on number of cells . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Good eye Scott H.
Actually, I was just applying the knowledge Scotty was kind enough to teach me when I was first having problems with my cart. If wasn't for him and David (TahoeDawgZ71) teaching me about the older electrical systems, my cart would be a smoldering pile of rubble by now where I set it on fire somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Further study of the picture reveals a series F&R on the right and a bank of resistor coils on the left.
I just looked through her pictures once more and it is definitely a 36 Volt series cart according to the tag on her motor.

The FnR (gear selector for Mae) doesn't look too happy.

And neither does the coil in her picture.

There is a picture of her V-Glide in there, but it doesn't show much. I'm willing to bet it's not liking life right now either.

I hate to say it, but it was at just about this point that I gave up with my cart's electrical system and converted it over to solid state, so my knowledge on the subject of fixing a resistor cart is just about exhausted.

I'll still help if I can, but if not I'm going to have to differ to Scotty and David if he pops into the thread since they both have forgotten more than I know on these carts.

-Scott H.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
cmar143
Gone Wild

Since you have the batteries I would just go ahead and convert it to a controller cart and you will be very happy with the speed and torque increase.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
maereese
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sounds like we're going wild! Yes the batteries are GS-8V Series Diehard batteries. I really feel stupid. Now I know.. Thanks I bet you all know what my next thread will be...
maereese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by maereese View Post
Sounds like we're going wild! Yes the batteries are GS-8V Series Diehard batteries. I really feel stupid. Now I know.. Thanks I bet you all know what my next thread will be...
Mae,

It is a common mistake. Don't feel bad, I almost did the same thing when I first started rebuilding my cart.

-Scott H.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car