lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New Motor, What to expect?

I am looking at replacing my motor. Based on what I have researched here, D&D seems like a great choice and I know Scotty B offers them (big plus!).
I read a post regarding results of the D&D ES-6349 and would like to replicate for my Series cart. The post I read for the ES-6349 was for a Sepex cart. I looked on D&D's webpage and can't figure out what top speed to expect based on my other upgrades. Upgrades consist of 48v conversion, Alltrax SPM 500 amp controller, HD solenoid, reversing contactors, 2 gauge cables. I want to achieve a top speed of 25 mph in case I ever want to go street legal. Torque still important, so looking for the compromise. Jonny B did some calculations on the thread about the Sepex cart motor upgrade. Jonny - if you would be so kind to assist it would be appreciated. To answer the questions to come - yes I have upgraded hydraulic disc brakes
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Motor, What to expect?

There are only four ways to increase the top speed of cart with a series drive system:
1. Higher pack voltage.
2. Taller tires.
3. High-speed gears in differential.
4. Motor wound for high speed.

Taller tires and High-speed gears increase speed, but reduce torque.
How tall are your tires? (Measure them - the size numbers on the sidewall are group size and are very approximate.)
What is the max inflation pressure listed in their sidewalls? (Low pressure tires knock MPH off the top end)

Winding a series motor for high speed also tend to reduce torque, but the D&D motors wound for speed are longer than stock motors, so the milder high speed winds have about the same torque as stock motors.

You can get a rough idea about the speed increase of the D&D motors listed on their website by calculating the percent of increase the speed listed is above 14 MPH (speed of a stock series cart)
IE: The ES-52-Type has a 14.3% increase in speed and a 20% increase in torque (at 36V)
Upping the voltage to 48V ups the speed from 16 MPH to 21.3 MPH
Upping the tire height from 18" to 22". ups 21.3 MPH to 26 MPH.

The torque loss of 22" tires is 18%, torque gain of the motor is 20% at 36V, and it would be about 50% at 48V, so the net torque gain would be about 30% over stock, mathematically, but probably a bit less in real life.

D&D doesn't list all their motors on their website, so the best bet is to call them and and find out what they recommend for your setup and desires. (Then order it through Scotty. )
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnie B- thank you. I do have 22" tires but understand that measurement is not always exact. Sounds like the ES-52 would meet my desire based on my current set up and your calculations. Appreciate you taking the time to provide the details - always very helpful. I will be consulting with Scotty very soon!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hi Joe, If I recall you are in some hilly country, yes? You may give up some speed for additional torque with the ES-52-56. 48v top speed for this motor is listed at 20 mph on 22s but, with sufficient torque for the rear seat and hills. There may some other options. Email me with some more information from the stock questions below about this application.

What make and year is the cart?
Series or sepex drive system?
What size tires are on the cart?
How many people ride on the cart?
Is the electrical system 36 or 48 volts?
What size is the speed control?
What top speed is desired?
Is the used on or off the road?
Is the terrain hilly?
Is the footing sandy or muddy?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

email sent - thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW: My calculations are based on mathematics alone and don't take all of the questions Scotty is asking into consideration.

Go with what Scotty and D&D say, not me.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO