lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: need electrical troubleshooting tips on 2011 drive

Might check the black wire connections at the speed sensor. I had a car with the same symptoms. Changed out the controller and nothing. Just unplug the sensor from the wire harness and try running the car. Found the black wire broken. It is part of the circuit that the controller uses to activate the solenoid. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yamaha service manual has error on throttle circuit (this is not a G22 throttle). Pin 5 (blue) is 5v to throttle sensor. Pin 6 is ground to throttle sensor. Pin 7 (orange) is 0-5v (real reading will be closer to 0.45v @ zero throttle, 4.75v @ full throttle, these dont have to be 100% exact, controller is not super picky).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Might check the black wire connections at the speed sensor. I had a car with the same symptoms. Changed out the controller and nothing. Just unplug the sensor from the wire harness and try running the car. Found the black wire broken. It is part of the circuit that the controller uses to activate the solenoid. Good luck
Did Z-2 tester catch this fault? Very interesting.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I haven't checked the controller pinouts yet from the page cgtech sent and thanks smallblock450sl for the tip about disconnecting the speed controller I'll try that when I go back out to the garage tomorrow. Meanwhile I did find the inline fuse, that tested fine. I started to put a meter on a couple of points and immediately I'm wondering about the readings coming off the solenoid. Pos and neg coming off my battery pack are at 50.2. When I take a reading on the pos and neg going into the controller, it is nothing with tow run switch off as expected, but then when I turn tow run switch on, I get the 50.2 for just a second and then it starts falling. Fast at first but gradually slower as the voltage drops below 3 or 4 volts. I changed the tow run switch to off and then back on again and it does this again. I'm getting the 50 coming off the solenoid to the controller and then it starts dropping. This behavior doesn't change if turn the key to off or on or f/w either way. Tested multiple times and always this dropping voltage coming of the solenoid. That can't be right? Does this indicate anything to you?
thbarrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Started unplugging wires for testing. No change with speed sensor disconnected. But interesting with throttle sensor and accelerator switch both disconnected I now get a second solenoid click when turning the key on. And more testing on solenoid...have disconnected from controller, I have 50v coming in from battery, with tow switch on I have 50v at both of the smaller terminals and 0v coming out the post that would normally connect to controller. Regarding smaller terminals, red yellow has power coming in with tow switch on. Measured continuity between small terminals and have resistance 118.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I believe this is solved. Clearly the solenoid isn't just a relay for the tow switch and ignition switch.

Meanwhile tested outputs on wires from the page cgtech sent. Thanks a ton cgtech. Saved it for future reference. All measurements were as expected including the note on the p7 orange. While I was checking those wires by the throttle also checked continuity on the accel switch and found that was open still with pedal in up position. I had the pedal assembly apart for cleaning and adjusted the accel pedal so that it visually depressed the plunger on the switch but did not check continuity on it at the time so it wasn't getting activated. With that adjustment, I was now getting the third solenoid click.

Click on run/tow, click on key on, click on pedal push. I still had the throttle position sensor disconnected though. And then after releaseing the pedal which reopens the circuit I got another click and rolling tires also gives me a click.

And then just for fun and since I had the rear end jacked up. I jumped the blue and orange pins at the throttle sensor, push the pedal forward to activate the accelerator switch circuit and my tires spin.

So something up with the throttle sensor. I had that off the pedal assembly while cleaning the assembly. Must have damaged something or gotten dirt in it? Seems like it's doing something that is faulting the system out because when it connected I do not get solenoid click on turning the key to on position. Gonna pull that back off see what's up.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I know I'm replying to myself a lot, just want to post the info here in case it helps somebody else troubleshoot. I didn't end up having any bad parts, I just put the pedal assembly back together slightly askew.

The shaft on the accelerator assembly has a lock mechnaism at the end of it, this limits the motion of the pedal and also is what depresses the accelerator switch when calling for power. I had this shaft apart to clean it up, very rusty.

Because of the lock on the shaft the amount of play is less than that of the throttle sensor. When putting back together I assumed I would want the throttle sensor ligned up so it would advance as far as possible. Apparantly the controller doesn't like this. I would guess a safety mechanism so you aren't all ready calling for too much power when the accel switch is activated.

I pulled the pedal shaft back out and played with the throttle sensor with the rear end jacked up so I could figure out where it needed to line up. Put the shaft back in and all is running as expected.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
cgtech

Yamaha

Cool.. Those little throttle sensor screws are a joy to work with while pedal group is installed, arent they?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You're not kidding, that whole pedal assembly is a PIA to work on. Glad for the learning experience about how the electrical system functions though.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Role
Gone Wild

Thumbs up Re: need electrical troubleshooting tips on 2011 drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbarrons View Post
You're not kidding, that whole pedal assembly is a PIA to work on. Glad for the learning experience about how the electrical system functions though.
I have the exact same year and model as you, exact same symptoms and problems. I have been looking everywhere to find a solution rather than buying a controller thinking that is the problem.

BIG THANK YOU! Your information is exactly what I needed!
Role is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha