lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #1
mfg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Spark only when letting off throttle - '89 CC

Hello all! First post here.
I've been bringing back to life a gaggle of '92 and '95 Club Cars that were set to the side for various reasons over 20 years of running a golf course. Been a heck of a time considering they've all been outside their whole lives and many haven't run in a decade.
However, I picked up a couple old flatheads the other day ('85 and an '89) on the cheap, and I have less experience with those. Got one running (old farm cart--looks awful) fairly quickly but the other is puzzling:
The plug will only get a single spark, when I let off the pedal. I'm thinking maybe there are some wires crossed somewhere or something? Wondering if anyone has encountered something like this or has any ideas before I start fiddling with things.
mfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Spark only when letting off throttle - '89 CC

I had one of these once. I rebuilt the flathead and milled the head down for more compression. It ran great. If I recall correctly there are 2 micro switches in the throttle bellcrank box. One is a 3 tab switch that has 2 wires connected. The switch can be normally open or normally closed depending upon which 2 tabs are utilized. And this switch turns the spark on and off.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Wiring diagram:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
mfg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys.

The bottom switch appears to be the one that controls spark, and it only has two tabs. It should be getting spark when it is released, but pushing it in (with the throttle open) is when I get the single spark.

If I disconnect the kill wire at the coil, I get no spark at all.

The yellow wire that goes to the side of the engine behind the pulley (oil light sender?) is disconnected, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Only other thing I see that is off from the diagram is the yellow and red wires at the voltage regulator are in opposite spots, but it's that way on my running cart too.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

No it shouldn't matter if the yellow wire is disconnected. You just won't have an oil light (so check your oil regularly).

The yellow and red wires going into the regulator in the diagram I don't think are truly reflective of the actual physical position of the wires in your cart, so I'm sure that's not your issue.

I don't know what you mean when you say the cart has "a single spark". Could you try to describe what this means?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
mfg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When pressing the throttle, there's no spark, until letting off the throttle, when it will spark one time. If the kill wire is disconnected, there is no spark ever

I replaced the microswitches and swapped in a coil that I know works, and it still does the same thing.
I may try to get in today to look at the magneto and those wires that come out to the coil.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

You replaced all the microswitches? Both the ones behind the shifter and also in the throttle box?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
mfg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just in the throttle box
Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Have you tried operating the throttle with your hand on the carb butterfly arm instead of the pedal? You may have some slop in your throttle linkage from the pedal to the carb.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
Robert1234
Not Yet Wild

Check your stator and trigger I can't remember the exact readings for ohming them out but I had the exact problem last week and it was my trigger
Robert1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car