lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
davisaf1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2008 Yamaha G29 Drive Motor/Controller Upgrade PLOWMANS Riot Kit

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my experience with Don Plowmans RIOT kit.

Background: I bought my cart used from a neighbor about a year and a half ago. I wanted some extra speed as I was only getting around 11-13 with the stock Hitachi Motor and Moric Controller. After doing only minor research I ended up just upgrading the controller to the Alltrax XCT48500 YDRE, but programed it down to 300 amps in an attempt to not burn out the stock motor. This lasted about 8 months but the stock hitachi finally gave out (see pics).

This was a blessing in disguise as I had really wanted an aftermarket motor and now I had the excuse I needed to get one. After reading some more and talking to D&D motors and Don Plowman, I decided to upgrade to PLOWMANS RIOT motor and I couldn't be any happier. First of let me say that Don knows his stuff when it comes to these motors and Yamaha carts. I was in a hurry to get this done as I'm leaving town for a month and needed to get my cart up and running before I left.

Don was more than accommodating and got me the parts as quickly as possible. After getting the new motor installed I am still in the break in period for the motor but the preliminary results are in as Follows:

2008 Yamaha Drive G29
4 x 12 US Batteries (approx 2 years old) full pack charge approx 51v
Plowmans RIOT Motor
Alltrax 48500 YDRE Controller
MJZ 400 Solenoid
Stock hight w/ 12" Wheels and low profile tire (215/40-12)

Getting approx 28-29 mph on flats (saw 31 on slight downhill). Tons of low end torque to get me up some pretty good hills in my neighborhood.

All in all, I'm getting the best of both worlds, great low end torque and acceleration, and a great top end speed. Great work by Don Plowman!!!!!

His customer service has been 2nd to none. And that is rare these Days. I highly recommend if you are replacing your motor or controller, just upgrade it all to PLOWMANS RIOT kit!! You won't regret it!!!

Thanks again Don!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3067.JPG (102.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3068.JPG (123.8 KB, 0 views)
davisaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
njpyamaha
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha G29 Drive Motor/Controller Upgrade PLOWMANS Riot Kit

Did you have to send in your (already installed XCT 500a) controller when you subsequently purchased the motor from Don? It would be a royal pain to have to take it back apart to do so, but when I spoke to him previously that was my impression is that it was required. Can't the settings/mapping just be sent or is this something proprietary and understandable. Anyone's insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
njpyamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha G29 Drive Motor/Controller Upgrade PLOWMANS Riot Kit

From my experience they can send you the correct map to load into your controller so you can do it yourself.

Davisaf1, I'm curious how much it cost? Are these RIOT motors off the shelf, or did he build it to your specs? I have the xct 48400, hd solenoid, new 2 guage cables, stock wheels/tires and a high speed motor from Electrical Motor Products but am only at like 26 mph flat. Curious if maybe it's just my 5 yr old Trojans hindering my mph.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha