lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #21
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1996 gas club car runs fine for short periods then quits.

If you have spark at wire but not at plug and you changed caps, I'm thinking plug.
But I have seen rpm limiter or the igniter make the spark to weak to fire a plug but it will fire a spark checker dim.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #22
caterpillar950
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Ill try the rpm limiter Ive not yet checked that wish me luck, Ill post the outcome if any.
caterpillar950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #23
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have a friend who had same problem, Cart would run perfect for 15 mins then just shut down and would not start again till cart cooled... Then do it all over again... Turns out it was the coil.. When it would warm up it killed the coil spark till it cooled again...
they say if you change coil you should also do the RPM limiter... They work together...

Just trying to help

Thanks,

Ant...
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #24
HoosierCubFan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info Ant-Knee. Opinions seem to be split about 50-50 between the coil and the ignitor being the problem. I checked with a mechanic at a nearby golf cart sales/repair store. He said it could be the rpm limiter, the coil, or the ignitor but since I've disconnected the rpm limiter, that would leave the coil or the igniter but if he had to guess he would guess the ignitor. Since that's the easiest to change I'm going to start there.
HoosierCubFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #25
HoosierCubFan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Are there bolts/nuts to take off after removing the rpm limiter before you get to the bolt holding the ignitor? I removed the 2 holding the limiter plus one nut on the passenger side that had a wire attached. It looks like there is another on the driver's side that has to be removed before I can pull that bracket off and then get to the ignitor. Is that right? Or maybe mine does not have a separate ignitor?
Old 09-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #26
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not sure if mine is the same as yours,

But there is 2 bolts or nuts, Cant remember that hold the rpm limiter, And if I am correct there is 2 more that hold on the bracket..

Thanks,

Ant...
Old 09-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #27
HoosierCubFan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Ant. I was under the impression there were just two to remove. From the diagram that was posted it looked like might be a couple more. It I wasn't sure.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #28
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierCubFan View Post
Thanks Ant. I was under the impression there were just two to remove. From the diagram that was posted it looked like might be a couple more. It I wasn't sure.

No Prob,

Im not sure if yours the same but that's how mine is...

Ant...
Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #29
HoosierCubFan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

We'll shoot. Previous owner must have replaced the ignitor & coil with the newer coil. I got the bracket off but there was nothing behind it. That was more than enough trouble for me. Don't think I'm up to removing and replacing the coil. Looks like I'll have to haul it to a golf cart repair shop. I really was hoping it was the ignitor.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #30
caterpillar950
Not Yet Wild

Guys I put a new plug cap on and still no spark at plug but it was a thrashy part, so I may order another one, I don't have a rpm limiter it has been removed, I may put the old coil back on and try it because bench test showed it was ok, but I do have spark on new coil at wire but not once I add cap and plug, very frustrated, may require a drink!
caterpillar950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car