lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Homemade "Z" lift built and a couple questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericandrews331@msn.com View Post
That's nice

It really isn't!
I've been VERY limited with choices of lift kits for the last 6 years due to the Z lift,
BUT... it came on the cart that way, so I have to deal with it!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've had good results from Z lifts . But I really think its much stronger and safer to have a solid plate instead of a welded piece. The weak link will always be the weld.
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #13
motorman3000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm not saying my welding is perfect by any means, BUT I have welded stuff under a lot more stress and never had any issues. I am confidant in my work. Some day if I find a piece of steal I can cut them out of I will. Till then these will work fine.

I did try to find another way of lifting it, but this was my only option due to cash funds. I have tried to find some lift spindle but had no luck. I was looking for a set of used one's, to save a few bucks, I also tried to find JUST the spindle lifts new, but had no luck with my specific cart.

Lockman1, You could always remove the "z" lift, straight plate it and then put a "normal" lift in it.
motorman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman3000 View Post
Lockman1, You could always remove the "z" lift, straight plate it and then put a "normal" lift in it.
Yep... I know!
But... I didn't want to! (or I was just lazy!)
I had a Jakes 3" spindle lift for 6 years (until I bent one)
A Madjax 3 1/2" a-arm for less than a year, (a weld broke)
And just installed an Allsports Super Sport 4" a-arm lift this spring!

All of that just to fit my 25" tires!

Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
motorman3000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

HMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! Do you happen to have any of the old bent, broken stuff left?? Silly question I know BUT...... Maybe???
Old 09-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Motorman3000 I am an ironworker by trade, they have been building skyscrappers for years with splice plates, they work, i've seen welds hold up better than the plates it was welded too (if you know how to weld they are not the weakest point) now if it was me i would double up my splice plates and sandwich another between the 2... being that you are using steel over the aluminium frame and you have good welds i would say go with it, you also can dress up anything even a nice paint job will make it look good.. I think you did fine with what you had to work with..good luck on your build, and i can't wait to see more of your budget build..you are only limited by your imagination..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure if your asking to extend the steering shaft/knuckle or the column, here is a picture of my club car steering knuckle, I took my factory one apart and added a shaft and i drilled out a piece of round stock to make a coupling, I inserted the top knuckle into the coupling and drilled and used a roll pin to fasten it together, I then welded the lower knuckle to the shaft, I drilled a hole through the shaft and the coupling and bolted it, this way when removing it, all I need to do is take the bolt out and slide the shaft up into the coupling.. hopefully I explained that right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160907_113035.jpg (662.3 KB, 0 views)
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #18
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman3000 View Post
HMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! Do you happen to have any of the old bent, broken stuff left?? Silly question I know BUT...... Maybe???
Yep, I do!
BUT... you'll need to get new hubs! (2004.5+)
I'm looking to put my Madjax 3 1/2" lift that has maybe 5 hours on it in the for sale forum sometime soon,
but I'll only sell it (fairly cheap) to someone that welds!

Here's my thread on it...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...mans-lynx.html

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #19
motorman3000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ironmonkey17, Thank you for the positive reinforcement on the welding. I am not a pro at all. Self taught stick and mig welder, and been doing it for over 10 years. I know thats not a lot of years BUT, as I said, I have confidence in my abilities. Yes that is exactly what I was looking for on the steering shaft extension. Thank you!

Lockman1, Keep me in mind if/when you decide to sell it???
Old 09-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

It really isn't!
I've been VERY limited with choices of lift kits for the last 6 years due to the Z lift,
BUT... it came on the cart that way, so I have to deal with it!

I ran a Z lift for years & had no problems except a rough ride.I went with a double A-arm by simply removing the Z & bolting the frame together with strait stock on each side of the frame ,very simple.
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car