lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
nosaholic90
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter Silenoid

I need help! I have a 88 ds gas powered. It keeps burning up starter silenoids. I replace them and can run them in service mode seems like all day but as soon as I drive it around the block and stop nothing! I'm fixing to order my 3rd one and want it to be the last. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.
nosaholic90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Starter Silenoid

Where are you getting them? If your buying a cheap solenoid, then there is your problem.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

You definitely need one rated for continuous duty
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

How sure are you that the solenoid is the issue each and every time? Yes the solenoid HAS to be the correct type. While a cheap Ford Starter solenoid from the auto parts store will look just like it, it can't stand the continuous duty use. Think of it this way: In a car the starter solenoid sends power to the starter for a few seconds (until it starts) then it's off for the rest of the time. On a cart the solenoid also sends power to the starter to start the engine, BUT stays on the entire time the engine is running to direct power from the generator back into the battery and run your lights & any other accessories. What would you expect of an automotive starter solenoid if you left the starter cranking for 30 minutes at a time?
That said there are also other micro switches, the ignition switch itself and several ground connections that must all be working correctly for the solenoid to do it's job.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
nosaholic90
Not Yet Wild

When I bought this thing it needed a Silenoid and micro switch. Yes I'm buying 20.00 ones from eBay and Amazon. Scared to pay a lot for one that's only going to last one ride around the block. First 2 would when you turn the key on it start spinning motor over. The last one does nothing and have to jump it to spin over. How do you know what's a good Silenoid ? Is there a certain brand name to look for? Thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are you saying the first 2 solenoids caused the engine to turn over when you turned the key? Not when you stepped on the pedal?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
nosaholic90
Not Yet Wild

Yes just the key on without pressing pedal. I had to change 2 micro switches and Silenoid the rode around the block came back stopped and motor kept spinning over without pedal. Replaced Silenoid fixed it ran around the block know nothing have to jump Silenoid.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
nosaholic90
Not Yet Wild

I checked Silenoid and it test bad
Old 10-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like some of the other switches and wiring needs to be checked out. Unless it's been modified to do so, it's not supposed to turn the starter till the pedal is pushed.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's the wiring diagram for that cart. Maybe that accelerator starter limit switch is stuck. The one with the green wire going to it.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car