lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Bill Krinek
Not Yet Wild

Default Coil change

I have a 1997 gas Club Car and would like to know how hard is to change the coil, and how to do it?
Bill Krinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Coil change

Welcome to BGW Bill, It is rather a long process to change out due to the external parts bolted over the shroud and bolts and about three times as long to explain it without being a smartazz like some would be on other Forums by saying it's behind the flywheel shroud and easy.
Motor should come out for ease on the back but can be done in the cart.
I would suggest picking up a service manual and following the step by step provided.
You sure it's a bad coil?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Cat797
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Bill,

I just went through this exercise. It's actually not too bad once you figure out what needs to come apart. I bought the $50 manual and didn't think it helped much......I'm glad I have it because there are a bunch of procedures with how to diagnose problems.

Any way, I ended up taking the rear body off to gain better access to the engine side cover. I could not believe how easy it was to remove the body, and I would certainly recommend it. You will save a lot of angst and cuss words. Quite a few of the bolts holding the cover on are slotted which would allow you to slide the cover off without removing the bolt completely. However, there are a couple strategically placed bolts that aren't slotted that are real tricky. In my case the one located at 3:00 when looking directly at the flywheel would not come out without removing the engine mount/exhaust bracket. So I backed it out as far as I could and used a hacksaw to cut the bolt head off. If I would have known this initially, I could have saved myself about 2 hours worth of work. You could easily do this in 2 hours. Hopefully this helped.

I would be glad to talk you through anything else if you have any more questions. Just let me know.

Ed
Cat797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

mine wasn't too bad.i pulled exhaust, air box and hose to get them out of the way. then i took off the plastic cover on the metal shroud. after getting all the screws out (yes a few were a pain) i was able to get the side cover out of the cart.

i did that without pulling body or the engine. I don't know if it would have been easier or not though.

it took about 3 hours and quite a few adult beverages to get everything apart. i had two screws that were rusty and stripped the heads out:( maybe like 30 minutes to button it all back up after the coil was in.

don't forget to set the gap onthe coil!

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
Bill Krinek
Not Yet Wild

Do you need a special puller to remove the fly wheel? What are some coil checks?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Cat797
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You do not need to remove the flywheel. Once you remove the metal side cover from the engine, you will have great access to the coil, and like 4Vertical said, once apart, the actual job of replacing the coil is about 2 minutes and about 30 minutes to put the rest back together. You need to set the gap between the coil and the flywheel. For a 1996 that is .012".

I don't know any specific checks off the top of my head for the coil, but there is a diagnostic tree in the manual. I had already changed the plug, fuel filters, rebuilt the carb, replaced micro switches, and replaced the starter solenoid, because of maintenance and other issues. About the only option left was the coil, and I was told they were particularly weak in the 96 timeframe (year of my cart). From what I've read, CC's are pretty notorious for having spark issues.
Cat797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

After you check all of the ignition components Cat listed then suspect the coil. Check it for spark by unscrewing the plug end. Use insulated pliers to hold it 1/4" away from the engine block while cranking with key on. NO spark? Are you sure the engine is grounded.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Bill Krinek
Not Yet Wild

Hi thanks for the help, 97 gas have a ignore instead of a coil do you do it the same way?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello Bill Krinek and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krinek View Post
Hi thanks for the help, 97 gas have a ignore instead of a coil do you do it the same way?
What exactly is the problem with your cart Bill???

eg:
- It doesn't run at all...
- There's no spark...
- It runs, but only for a short time...

You just went from the coil, to the ignitor...

We'd love to help you... but, you need to be more specific!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car