lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: roof supports /windshield

I believe mine started as a fold down windshield, but at some point in time the tape stuff that holds the 2 halves together broke and the top half is long gone

it was free on another cart I had taken in as a project so I don't care. IT serves its purpose when I need it to :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #12
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

In Case anyone was wondering, that roof support kit is available at jasons golf carts for $14 but it had $18 shipping to me so that killed it.

also available here: https://www.ecartparts.com/top-repla...yle-1982-20005

looks like $9 shipping so a bit more reasonable

i ordered a set. my piece that has the bolt in it for the front roof support broke at the cowl again. It had been repaired once, And saturday cruising through the yard it snapped again. Got it welded again, only burnt 1 spot in my cowl

hopefully these strengthen it up. This long top puts a lot of leverage on these poor supports
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

On all of my carts with the old style roof supports I drill an extra hole through the rear supports and bolt them together with a 5/16 bolt about 2” long. Makes a huge difference in how much that roof wobbles.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
On all of my carts with the old style roof supports I drill an extra hole through the rear supports and bolt them together with a 5/16 bolt about 2” long. Makes a huge difference in how much that roof wobbles.
Are you talking about behind the seat backs? or another bolt through the roof and then through the support?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Behind the seat backs. Kinda between the bend Upward and the bag rail about 3-4" from the other bolt.
I've also noticed the bag rail bolts tend to get loose so the supports can move around a lot. The few of mine that still have the rail I remove the old bolts (usually pretty crusty rusty) and replace with new and tighten the snoz out of them.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Behind the seat backs. Kinda between the bend Upward and the bag rail about 3-4" from the other bolt.
I've also noticed the bag rail bolts tend to get loose so the supports can move around a lot. The few of mine that still have the rail I remove the old bolts (usually pretty crusty rusty) and replace with new and tighten the snoz out of them.
I have replaced a bunch of crusty bolts on this thing no surprise there. I will look at my cart, I don't have bag rails though. My seat backs for the front seat go up like a triangle then come down for the back seat backrest, and go straight out towards the back to support the back seat. I look behind the seats tonight.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Figured a pic might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64B75DC2-58AE-487B-A696-10B1B8332FBD.jpg (188.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have attached a pic of what I'm working with. I feel like the way your supports end up pointing backwards gives its more front/back strength than mine, which allow for more front/back movement. I may have to figure out some new or additional brackets because I can't drive my cart through the yard without worying about it. one of my front brackets that attached through the cowl has already broken and been welded twice. The first time was not while I owned the cart and the second was while I was just cruising through the yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backseat.jpg (79.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I see your concern... it's the extended roof that's getting you. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a support brace from about halfway up the strut, and connect it to the rear seat armrest about half way back. Don't think it would get in the way of the back seat passengers and would add a lot of additional stability to prevent the roof from swaying front/back.

The extra brace kit for the front should help quite a bit too, but I'd definitely do something about the back. There really ins't anything back there to prevent it from flexing all over the place.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ahhh yeah I had one cart with a top similar to that but smaller and it was all cracked up and shattered from flopping around all the time. I took it off and chucked the whole thing. That cart is now affectionately known as “topless”.

Those roof struts don’t have anything for fore/back bracing. Getting the angle brackets for the front strut to the body will help but they will only do so much. You should also make some corner brackets that run from the struts up to the roof. Some 1”x 3/16” flat steel about 15” or a bit longer. Bolt it to the upright about 6” down from the roof line and run it towards the back of the cart to meet the roof. I would do those on both front and back. If head clearance on the front is an issue you could shorten them to maybe 10” for the front and have them come down from the roof only 4” or so.
To add some extra strength to the roof where those attach you could cut some pieces of 3/4”x1/8” flat steel about 8” long and mount those inside the roof line where the angle pieces meet the roof. Mark everything and drill all the holes then clean up the steel really well and paint it all silver before you install it.

You could use aluminum as well but it usually costs quite a bit more and would have to be a bit thicker to have the same strength. The good thing about aluminum is it doesn’t require paint, and it’s a heck of a lot easier to cut and drill.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car