lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Bajawillie
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 fe290 won’t start at compression stroke

New to the forum so I spent a few hours making sure this wasn’t covered before here. Seems some similar issues have been discussed but I haven’t found a resolution. As long as the engine is after the compression stroke it will start up fine and run perfect. Idle is good no popping or spiders. Once you stop the engine and try to start again you can see the starter laboring to turn the motor over. It grunts a little and does this about 2-3 times and then stops engaging completely and all you here is the solenoid clicking. If I bump the pulley by hand I can get it to move again but it won’t start unless it is after the compression stroke. The things I’ve done so far-replaced the solenoid, installed a new S&G motor, new belts, adjusted the belt on the starter loose and tight fit neither makes a difference. Set valve lash to .005, added a 8gauge ground wire to the motor with automotive cable ends and a brand new 450 cca battery. Checked all the cable ends and connections for corrosion etc.
Makes no difference if the motor is hot or cold it has the same result. Can someone please enlighten me as what this could be? Thanks for your time!
Bajawillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 fe290 won’t start at compression stroke

Did you replace your S/G because this was happening or is that one of the things you’ve tried to fix the issue? Just went through an identical issue on my 92ds. I had replaced the S/G with a cheap aftermarket and it failed. Club car genuine brand S/G and all my problems were solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Bajawillie
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97 fe290 won’t start at compression stroke

This was the same issue before I replaced it all. It did have the Hitachi starter before.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
firemanrick
Not Yet Wild

Well swang and missed on that one. Sorry I couldn’t help. Good luck!

firemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Bajawillie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanrick View Post
Well swang and missed on that one. Sorry I couldn’t help. Good luck!

Still could be the issue I guess. Thanks for your input!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What kind of belt do you have on it?

Even with a new battery you could still have a voltage loss through a poor connection or damaged cables. If you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage At the battery + while cranking. Then check the supply voltage at the White cable end and the post on the S/G while cranking.
See if there is a large drop in voltage between the two. A large drop wold be anything more than a 1v difference. So if you have 11.5V at the battery while cranking, but only 10.5V at the S/G, that shows there is a poor connection or corroded cable somewhere on the supply side.
If the voltage is the same or very close to the same, then you can also check the Negative side for voltage, by checking at the negative post of the S/G. If you have more than 1v on the negative side while cranking, there is a connection issue or corroded cable between the S/G and battery negative.
You changed the negative cable from the S/G to the engine? Did you also change the cable from the Engine to the Frame? What about the Battery negative cable to the Frame?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
Bajawillie
Not Yet Wild

I will check the grounds again on the battery and on the motor. I tested for voltage drop at the SG and it was only .4v down. The ground I replaced was from the SG to the chassis. You given me some more to check so thank you!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
Bajawillie
Not Yet Wild

So I checked the voltage on the positives and the negatives from the battery to the chassis and from the motor to the chassis and all read the same as the battery at 12.5. One thing I did notice is that when it labors to start against the compression stroke of the motor a few times that it will actually stop engaging the starter after about 3 tries and all you hear is the solenoid click. But if I give it a little help by hand then it will engage again. Still won’t start unless it’s passed the point of top dead center.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:51 AM   #9
cartcarter
Not Yet Wild

HI Baja. I have the exact same year of cart, the FE290 Motor cart and almost the exact same issue with it laboring on the compression stroke. Once it passes the first compression stroke it has no issues pulling through as many compression strokes as needed to fire up the engine. The S/G pulls the entire time to the point the belt will even squeal from slippage until it passes top dead center. When I got the cart several years back I pulled the s/g apart and turned the armature on the lathe to get down below any burn pitting, put new brushes in but even upon re assembly I still have the compression stroke issue. I almost bought a new OEM Club Car S/G today $700.00 CAD but I thought I would give trouble shooting one more crack at it. Did a search and came across you who has almost the identical issue. Did you figure it out, please tell me you did. :-)
cartcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the belt slips it needs to be tightened.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car