lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Smothing the ride

I have a g16 with a bed on the back, no lift kit,and standard tires. When I hit a dime I swear I can tell you if it is head or tails. If I go off road I have to go slow or get thrown around. The suspension, kingpins, etc is tight. Would HD Springs in the back help? Does a lift kit soften the ride any?

Thanks for any replies..
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Smothing the ride

Sounds like you have bad shocks or possibly the a-arms in the front are stuck/siezed and not traveling up and down. HD springs in the back will make it ride rougher due to the added tention. I would first check the a-arms in the front and see if they will travel up and down. Sometimes the bolts in the front center will rust and seize the front end on these. I would check shocks next. For lift kits, it all depends on the lift. The more expensive ones will give you a better ride but most of them are simple shock extensions in the rear. Another thing that will give you a better ride is bigger tires with less air pressure. Of course this would require a lift.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
Sounds like you have bad shocks or possibly the a-arms in the front are stuck/siezed and not traveling up and down. HD springs in the back will make it ride rougher due to the added tention. I would first check the a-arms in the front and see if they will travel up and down. Sometimes the bolts in the front center will rust and seize the front end on these. I would check shocks next. For lift kits, it all depends on the lift. The more expensive ones will give you a better ride but most of them are simple shock extensions in the rear. Another thing that will give you a better ride is bigger tires with less air pressure. Of course this would require a lift.
Thanks Spriddle

The A arm travel are fine. If I get a lift it would be a All-Sports or Jakes but probably not the long travel. I am on the big side.... OK I am a Fat ******* and I think what is happening is the springs are being mostly compressed by my 300 lbs. Hay at least I am 6'2".
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Glad your being honest and that does play a part in the ride for sure. I would definitely go with a lift. Jakes makes an excellent lift. Your still going to be looking at shock extensions in the rear more than likely. I would suggest possibly going with a different shock. Maybe something like shocks off a quad. You can find these on ebay all day. Just email whoever is selling them and get the length. Of course make sure the top and bottom of the shocks take the side bolt through type pattern. I would go with at least a 6 inch lift and at least 22 inch tires. Some good quad shocks in the rear and then mess with tire air pressure. I would also suggest the spring/spacer torque kit for your cart after the lift so you don't lose your hill climbing ability. It will severly decrease after adding larger tires.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Glad your being honest and that does play a part in the ride for sure. I would definitely go with a lift. Jakes makes an excellent lift. Your still going to be looking at shock extensions in the rear more than likely. I would suggest possibly going with a different shock. Maybe something like shocks off a quad. You can find these on ebay all day. Just email whoever is selling them and get the length. Of course make sure the top and bottom of the shocks take the side bolt through type pattern. I would go with at least a 6 inch lift and at least 22 inch tires. Some good quad shocks in the rear and then mess with tire air pressure. I would also suggest the spring/spacer torque kit for your cart after the lift so you don't lose your hill climbing ability. It will severly decrease after adding larger tires.

It would be a while before I can spring for the $600 for a lift and tires. I already have the torque kit installed. That was my first mod.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

How does your cart run with the torque kit and stock tires? Everyone I've installed with stock tires wouldn't gain any speed at all. Just wondering how yours is performing.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
How does your cart run with the torque kit and stock tires? Everyone I've installed with stock tires wouldn't gain any speed at all. Just wondering how yours is performing.
With the nut all the way in it will cruse
flat land @ 20 MPH
Up a moderate hill @ 17 MPH
Down a moderate hill @ 23 MPH

Another big guy and my self climbed up a 45 deg hill no problem...
Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

That's actually really good with stock tires. Your short speed and torque may decrease somewhat with larger tires if your cruzing these speeds with stock tires.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
That's actually really good with stock tires. Your short speed and torque may decrease somewhat with larger tires if your cruzing these speeds with stock tires.
That is about as fast as I want to go... I can take it within 2 miles of my house legally and we go to the store all the tome in it. My daughter loves riding.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Just wait until they get old enough to drive it and you'll never see it. It will be time to get another one.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha