lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 48V Lestronic Charger Test and 48V Upgrade

I bought a 48V Lestronic II charger off Craigslist for $100. I would like to test this charger before buying 2 extra 6 volt T-105's to upgrade my cart to 48 volts. I've read on some of the other forums that some chargers need a certain amount of volts or amps to close a relay on the charger to make it function. What would be a good test to see if the charger is operatable or some good advice on the right 48v charger. This one was cheap (the price was right). Also I have upgraded to a 500 amp GE controller 36/48v, GE motor 36/48V, and 4 gauge cables but my White Rogers solenoid is a 36 volt version. The cart presently runs 19/20 mph with 250lb passenger. I've been told the F/R switch needs to be replaced and the 36V White Roders solenoids needs upgrading to 48V White Rogers solenoid. I've also heard the White Rogers 36V will work. Answers can be technical. So don't hold back, I do automated instrumentation control circuits for a living. I have volt meters, amp meters, tools, and etc. My cart started out as a 95 Metalist later replace the body with a 2000 TXT body. No lift. Cart pictured in avatar.
rjriley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48V Lestronic Charger Test and 48V Upgrade

I think I have a game plan just looking for someone that has been down this road before. Or is familiar with equipment.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I suggest you plug that Lester into your 36v cart for a quick test. I mean 1 or 2 seconds is all it's gonna take to decide if the charger starts up correctly, and the 2 second test is not gonna harm the batteries. Whatta ya think?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I suggest you plug that Lester into your 36v cart for a quick test. I mean 1 or 2 seconds is all it's gonna take to decide if the charger starts up correctly, and the 2 second test is not gonna harm the batteries. Whatta ya think?
I concur with one caveat, if the battery charger needs to sense a certain voltage like 6v below 48v (42v), it may not even start.
Ideally it would be best to take the battery bank up to 48v even by adding a car battery in series just to test. Do not connect the battery pack to the cart, just the charger.
If it does start, it won't hurt it for a few minutes but don't leave it on trying to charge the batteries. The charger is meant for 24 cells but will work really fast on a 18 cell battery pack and overcharge/overheat the batteries. It will probably swing all the way to 20 amps on start up.
Think of it like applying 24v to a 12v starter in the winter to start a car, doesn't hurt if you don't run it long.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Isn't the plug different? anyway, those chargers are about bomb proof. Count on it working ... Get needed solenoid, resistor, diode, and fuse, and have fun. Don't screw it up with some funky 'test' If you want to test it take it to a shop where they can plug it into a 48v cart
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
I concur with one caveat, if the battery charger needs to sense a certain voltage like 6v below 48v (42v), it may not even start.
If it does start, it won't hurt it for a few minutes but don't leave it on trying to charge the batteries. The charger is meant for 24 cells but will work really fast on a 18 cell battery pack and overcharge/overheat the batteries. It will probably swing all the way to 20 amps on start up.
Think of it like applying 24v to a 12v starter in the winter to start a car, doesn't hurt if you don't run it long.
I believe that Lester's need to see 70% of the pack voltage to start so if it's a 48 volt charger it would need 33.6 volts. So as long as his 36 volt pack has been charged and is reading at least 33.6 he should hear the "click."

Let me add as long as the plug is the same as questioned by Scotty or will be changed as part of your included build, to preform the test. But one other thing that can be done that is bullet proof for testing your new charger. Try it on someones 48 volt cart and see if it works.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the newer 36V charger plug on my cart when I installed the newer TXT body. It is similar to the 48V on the Lestronic except the slotted plug.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO