lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
lighting
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 91 Marathon

That's one clean Marathon . I have 2 Marathons but they weren't in good shape. I have rebuilt one the other is in a shed for parts or a rebuild later .keep us posted of your build .
lighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #22
dhook
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Lighting and thanks Air for the advice. The more I read the more I feel like the kid that no one plays with. Seems there is real old resistor carts (pre 90;s) and then thee is everything after (93 and above) and in between there is these 91-92 carts. I'm not even sure if my cart is considered a resistor cart lol.
It has its own wiring diagram though.

She's definately slow to go tho. Probably because of batteries and like Air said have to make a decision on whether or not I want to stick with this cart or turn and burn her and get something more modern.

Like I said only 600 in her so what I'm wondering is for 1400 can I make a decent cart I want to keep and can easily get parts and stuff for. or maybe get something newer where theres more resources online for (service manuals build threads) Just hard to decide. Guess I should start another thread and see WWBGWD.
dhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

If you buy a newer cart you may be looking at the same expenses you have with this one like lift & larger tires as well as 48v upgrade. And a newer one you may be looking at new batteries in a year or two. So you may doing the exact same things to a more costly cart. You don't have to do it all in one day or off one paycheck.
JMO,
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #24
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinghawk View Post
If you buy a newer cart you may be looking at the same expenses you have with this one like lift & larger tires as well as 48v upgrade. And a newer one you may be looking at new batteries in a year or two. So you may doing the exact same things to a more costly cart. You don't have to do it all in one day or off one paycheck.
JMO,
Ross

The rear seat was a kind of build as you go type of thing. My cart had no seats when I got them. I ordered my seats and built the framework around it. Engineering it was the worst part of the build. It was a lot of trial and error.
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey dhook, don't let me talk you out of anything. I just think you should do this with your eyes wide open so there are no surprises. I see too many guys trying to sell their old Marathons for $3k or $4k & think it's a shame. There is no doubt they are cool carts, but they just don't seem to sell.

And like huntinghawk said, some of the upgrades due on your Marathon can easily be due on a newer cart too, like the expense of new batteries.

With $1400 of room, I think you could easily do some 20" tires/steel wheels, block lift kit (drop axle lift for $200 more), battery cable upgrade, and a 36 volt set of batterys. Maybe a cheap paint job.
Talk to EMP about an engine upgrade (their a site sponsor). Might need a controller in there. And possibly a few bucks for repairs your not aware of today. Just keep your eyes open for deals, used gear, etc. Do the work yourself when you can. And if you spend a little over, be aware that you may or may not recoup that when you sell it.

Have fun with it. But no point in making it more of a loss than necessary.

Funny story..... my wife is dog sitting for a gal who lives nearby. She came by 2 nights ago & I was in the garage tinkering on the boat. She said, "Oh you have a golf cart.... well, looks kind of like a golf cart. Whoa, looks like you've changed something on it".

Uh, yea.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #26
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check out Marathon rear seats and step on Ebay from Kraft Implement.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #27
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

When a cart needs new batteries its a real good time to think about a 48v upgrade.
JMO,
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #28
dhook
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinghawk View Post
When a cart needs new batteries its a real good time to think about a 48v upgrade.
JMO,
Ross
Yes Ross I am starting to lean this way now. I have read through this forum many times and believe it really doesn't matter the year of your cart your still gonna spend a chunk getting lift and speed.
So I have decided to keep this one and go ahead and upgrade it. After alot of reading and looking into my wallet I have decided this for an order and if any of you guys think I should go another route PLEASE say so.

Phase I
4 ga wires
48V Solenoid
48V Controller
New Pot Box and HD F/R
and of Course 6 new Trojans

Anyone care to guesstimate the damage to my wallet?

Phase II will be lift, tires, backseat, accessories.

Any Sponsors wanna give me a package price here (minus the Trojans of course)?
dhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO