lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
gregb
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Another accelleration problem

I've had a '92 CC DS for about a month and a half now and it started out pretty much original except for a rear flip seat. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the starter ran but the engine hesitated. Once the engine fired, it ran fine. I replaced the spark plug but didn't seem to make any difference. A couple weeks ago I installed a power spring (getting ready for a new lift, tires, and wheels). I took off across the yard and as soon as I reached top speed it died off and then took off again. It just surged like that from then on. Now, maybe that was happening a bit before the change but I noticed it more since the new spring was installed. Over the weekend I installed the 6" A Arm LONG TRAVEL from All Sports, 10" steel wheels, and 22" tires. And by the way, I really like the lift and it was easier to install than I had imagined. Anyway, I cleaned the carb. Took the gas lines loose at the pump; plenty of gas being pumped, at the carb; good flow there, too. The linkage seems to be in place. I don't know what to look for next. There is no gradual take off. You're either going all out or not moving. I checked and the butterfly works open to about 3/4 closed, I guess. I can depress the accelerator 1/3 to 1/2 the way down before I see any movement of the butterfly, and the plastic quarter round piece inside the electrical box rotates its full length before the engine starts. From this point to fully depressed pedal there is no change in rpm but the engine runs, full open and surging. I pulled the air hose from the breather and could adjust how much air I let thru with my hand and could get the engine to run smooth but not at full throttle but I'd guess close.

Thanks,
Greg
gregb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another accelleration problem

Thats the governor kicking in...........read the stickies on how to adjust it. You have increased ground speed with larger tires, and probably just a bit with the spring.
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
vzdude
Gone Wild

Sorry....just re-read it. The full on accell issue is usually a cable issue as well. It is a little funky how the throttle is operated by the governor. Once you read the stickies and look at it , it will make more sense!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
gregb
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks vzdude,
I'll read thru the stickies and check the cables.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
gregb
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I've read thru the stickies and several post but am still having trouble understanding what to do about this acceleration problem. So, here's my next attempt to figure this out.

As I stepped on the gas pedal, I pulled the governor lever on the carb side toward the front of the engine as far as it would go. The engine would surge as before to its peak rpm no matter where I held the pedal. As I eased off the governor the engine would run real smooth. Ease off the governor just a bit more and hold that position and now I have control of the rpm's with the pedal. So, next I see the only place to adjust either cable, (one from the black box to the governor and one from the governor to the carb) is the one from the black box. Most of the threads are on the outside of the box so I shortened it so most the threads were inside the box. Now I have a smooth take off and a gradual rise to full speed. But, this has slowed the cart, overall. Something isn't quite right yet.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
vzdude
Gone Wild

You probably are going to have to adjust the governor rod at the rear end. There is a pinch bolt that hold the arm to the round shaft coming out of the top of the rear end. I used a drill bit to hold the shaft ( there is a hole under the arm ) where I wanted it, which was max wheel speed ( cart rear end jacked up and front tires blocked ) then had a buddy put the pedal to the floor. When it just barely hit the rpm limiter, tighten the pinch bolt. All while holding the shaft/pedal to the floor, ect. ! It is tricky, but it worked for me. Had to adjust it again after CPP machined my clutches, and gonna have to do it again after larger tires get installed. It gets easier each time!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
gregb
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks vzdude. I have been working on this in maintenance mode and am wondering if it will make any difference if the cart is in gear, chocked, and off the ground with the wheels turning giving it a bit of a load. I'll give it a try both ways out of curiosity while adjusting. I'm still a bit confused about what I'm adjusting though...are the governor and rev limiter the same thing?

Greg
Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
vzdude
Gone Wild

The governor controls ground speed. It is run off of the lever on the rear end. The RPM limiter is electronic and it only controls the engine speed. The trick is to get them "matched" for maximum ground speed without hitting the rev limiter. Can be tricky , but well worth the effort!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
gregb
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I fooled around with it a while today and it sure is touchy like you said. I got it to run pretty smooth but after it warmed up it started to get a little sluggish. I'll get back to it later in the week.
Thanks

Tags
full speed or stopped
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car