lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
LOADER
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 EZ Go Medalist 36 V charger "clicking"

Hello again everyone. The cart has been running well, but a new situation has risen and before I blindly lurch myself into trouble (again), I thought I would seek advice. I have researched the forum for a cure before wasting anyone's valuable time but cannot locate a similar problem.

I have a 96 EZ Go Medalist 36 V electric cart and use a "Power Wise" brand charger. As of late, the front meter doesnt register anything when it is plugged in, but my test meter indicates charging, checking the two large charging cart cables @ the connection socket. Today when I plugged it in, it began "clicking" as if switching off and on, although test meter again shows charging.

Specifics are as follows... Batteries are 5 years old, and charge to aprx 38-39 V, and I try to recharge before they dive too low.

Charger plugged into cart socket test meter shows 37.1V

All cables are clean, great terminals tight EVERYWHERE

Heres where it gets cloudy....I tilted the charger back on angle (trying to read model # better-sitting on floor of cart) and suddenly the front meter comes alive, registers pos voltage, and the "clicking" has stopped, although the charger voltage output at the connector plugged into cart socket still reads exactly the same!...

Any thoughts ?- fix ? - repair - replace ? - leave alone/it works ? -

Thanks again,
LOADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 EZ Go Medalist 36 V charger "clicking"

Try moving the plug around in the receptacle as they do come loose with use.I have even put a small bungee cord on them to keep them tight so the relay wont kick on and off.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

also try cleaning contacts on both charger and cart..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
LOADER
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all, The charger plug + cart receptacle is a weak looking area on this combo and I guess Ive been afraid to make them more reliant/upgraded. Both plugs are the smaller type grey colored ones that do not disassemble. Peeking into the channels of the plugs themselves where the wire goes down into look weak and although not corroded, certainly not clean. Glad opinion runs that charger itself might not be bad, and will make a good project to freshen up with better conectors.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

those plugs do come apart and you can buy the parts for them .......you can buy the plastic housing or the housing with the ends already there..........get a small file and go over the contacts as good as you can...........i had a guy who his charger blew the fuse everytime he plugged into cart to make a long story short in the end it was the ends on the cart side.........new parts charged fine........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The female ends in the cart are called radsoks. They are pricey but easy to change...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3541.jpg (76.6 KB, 8 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a problem with my charger clicking on and off turns out it was in the handle so I changed the radsocks on both sides and no luck. What it was was the auxiliary contact wasnt contacting the radsock when plugged in. This is a small brass contact inside the handle between the radsocks. I bent mine out just a little bit and everything works fine now. Don't know if thats you're problem but just something to check. My charger is a powerwise 2.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
LOADER
Not Yet Wild

From those more experienced, I am told that both charger connections have been changed (imagine that!) from original. These existing are the small-ish cheesy bi-polar hi-low / male -female that unfortunately do NOT dis assemble. Ive tried to squeeze tiny screwdriver down along side the contacts (radsocks?) and push retainer aside allowing tereminals to pull free like some box-type electric in line connectors, but no dice. It is within my skillset to chop em (if I must) and burn on new radsocks to use in new style connectors that DO disassemble as this type seems preferable in terms of ease in maintenence, longer life, heavier duty, etc. Words of advice or thoughts ?

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO