lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
WingSpan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question 01 CC Spark... No Spark

01 Club Car DS 290fe, one night cart would not start at all, next morning fired right up, drove it a 1/4 mile... no spark. took the plug wire barely off the spark plug it would then run again. off the next couple of days it became progressively worse and would not run unless i barely gaped the plug wire from the spark plug.

I then believe it is the ignition coil, replace it, with the metal shroud completely removed ran perfect, no problems. start putting everything back together, testing it in neutral making sure it fires. when shroud was bolted back on it would not spark. took apart, checked the gap on the ignition coil to flywheel, all good. it seemed to only run with the shroud removed.

Now the cart is not sparking at all and the black/white signal wire to the coil reads 12v when not pressing the throttle, and switches to a grounding signal when pressing the throttle down.

Battery is fully charged, good limit switches, good key switch, solid grounds, clean fly wheel, continuity throughout the black/white wire.

please help thank you
WingSpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 01 CC Spark... No Spark

Electrickery is not my strongest suit but you need 12v to the coil/ ignitor with the pedal depressed ? How else would it recieve the voltage to trigger the spark ? The kill microswitch grounds the signal to kill the system so start there, next disconnect the ground from the RPM limiter to eliminate it. The removed shroud / run situation may point to a chaffed wire from the limiter to the coil. Perhaps grounding out when replaced ?
Let us know what transpires please.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
WingSpan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It would have to recieve a postive signal because it is mounted and bolted to the block. I will check all the wires around the limiter... it is mounted on the front of the block correct? in addition i read in a similar post the Kill SW when activated will send a negative signal to the coil, so hopefully i will find a short
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
vzdude
Gone Wild

spark plugs can go bad.......had a lawnmower ( first time I ever experienced it ) that wouldn't run. Hooked up an in line spark tester and the dang thing fired up and scared the ever livin snot out of me! LOL The inline tester I am referring to is the kind that has an alligator clip on a bolt on one end and the other end looks like a spark plug. You can adjust the gap to test for larger ignitions on cars and such. That is what it sounds like you are doing by taking the plug wire off......making the gap bigger so the plug will fire. Anyhow......I replaced the plug on the little mower and it has been fine since! Hey....it's cheap enough to try at least!
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
WingSpan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

the plug is brand new. UPDATE, i applied 12v directly to the ignition coil, if the wire was barely spaced off of the ignition coil male connector it would fire right up. I then hooked the signal wire back up to the ignitoin just to see what would happen. if the throttle was slowly applied it would fire right up, but when I "romp" the throttle, it will not fire, only under slow accleration.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
WingSpan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Newest update, Got tired of messing with the old piece of crap motor and put a new one in. Its fixed now
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car