lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
boomcyl
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 EZGO Sparks

When i was cleaning cables with key off and in neutral i got sparks when removing cables. is this normal? was cleaning cables because batts are not holding charge for long now. only have 3 12 volt batts cause only drive short distance and not often. seems like with being off should be no sparks. put cart info in sig
boomcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EZGO Sparks

Did you put the run/tow switch in tow?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
boomcyl
Not Yet Wild

IT sparks in run not in tow, 38 volts i traced it to the saftey switch at charge plug with everything shut off. meaning i think after charge and when not in use its discharging somewhere. when i got cart mag saftey switch was broke, from this site got info how to fix by shorting. did work great till now. is sitting now will check later for voltage. but still have short. could it be in the speed controller? looked for wire diag cant find one also not sure if cart is DCS Pds or series? f/r switch by right leg
Old 10-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

1997 with a Run/Tow switch is a DCS. Does the cart run at all? If yes, don't worry about it.

Next time, ALWAYS switch to TOW before performing ANY ELECTRICAL work on this cart. The sparks you are seeing when making the final connection may look wrong, but it is because the switch is NOT in TOW mode and it is completing a small circuit such as an onboard battery level meter. If the sparks were BIG and THICK, then I would say you have a draw somewhere, but the thin sparks you are seeing are not a worry.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Also, even if the cart is off, there is always power running through the cables unless you switch the controller to TOW mode. You probably know this, but always remove the NEGATIVE cable first, and replace it last.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
boomcyl
Not Yet Wild

thanks for reply yes the sparks are big enough to mess up threads. full batt voltage. theres nothing on this cart lights or meters, thats why im worried there has to be a big short somewhere. i traced BIG spark to one of 2 small red wires from r/t switch to bat side of solunoid switch which i took off and was not stuck closed. well like i said thanks for reply i checked voltage this morn and is 37.9 i just dont get it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO