lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
StratoGeezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Sizzling Forward/Reverse switch

Hey folks,

I replaced 4 of the 8 batteries with new ones in my 2003 EZGO TXT. Naturally it's been modified to 48v.

Anyway - I took it for a pretty heavy test ride this weekend. And although it ran very well - I could definately smell something sizzling when I parked it.

I raised the seat, and surprise - the smell got stronger. I could see a small amount of smoke rising from under the plastic cover over the forward/reverse switch. The two cables that were attached to it that go to the motor were really heated up too. It seems I'm definitely overloading that switch somehow....

Any ideas what I might check to isolate whatever is causing this?

The photo merely shows the general area that was overheating - specifically under the black plastic cover shown on the right side of the frame. The speed controller and solenoid were not overheated at all. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart switch sizzle.JPG (27.1 KB, 20 views)
StratoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sizzling Forward/Reverse switch

Is that a 480 amp controller? and 400a solenoid? You definitely need a NEW beefed up F&R switch. What size cables are you running?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
StratoGeezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Is that a 480 amp controller? and 400a solenoid? You definitely need a NEW beefed up F&R switch. What size cables are you running?
If memory serves - it's been awhile since I installed these - it's a 700amp controller and not sure amperage but the solenoid is heavy duty as well.

I'm running 4GA cables.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a beefed up F&R switch. That's one of the few stock items remaining.
StratoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

that solenoid is a 400 AMP continous/1000 AMP peak solenoid.

you can either replace the existing F&R with a HD one or do a total conversion to a solenoid activated F&R setup.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is the correct solenoid for that controller... But the 4g cables are undersized according to today's standards as suggested by Alltrax... I'm pretty sure LGS would agree.

But the main thing is that once the switch get sizzling hot it compromises all the contact surfaces involved so what could have been just a switch cam upgrade is now a switch replacement.
I have HD switches or kits to build Rabbits Solenoid F&R.
And coming soon is a new 'ultra cool' switch cam for f&r switch upgrades.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO