lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
rthompson
Not Yet Wild

Default 1979 EZ-go 2pg crankshaft problem

I recently bought a 1979 e-z go Marathon with a model 2pg, 244 cc. Robin Engine It needed to be rebuilt so I tore it apart and ordered a rebuild kit. I was told that the 1980-1988 kit would work. However when it got here the crankshaft was different. I need one for a 1976-1979 along with an additional crankshaft bearing and fan side crankshaft seal. I can't find one. Please let me know where I can find one or resolve my problem. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00175.jpg (30.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00176.jpg (33.0 KB, 7 views)
rthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1979 EZ-go 2pg crankshaft problem

Here is part of the history of the Robin engine that I shamelessly lifted from a golf cart site. As you can see I think you have a problem, unless anyone knows different

-In 1976 the so-called '2pg'--a 244cc, Fuji Heavy Industries/Robin Engine--with an internal starter generator (st/gen), became standard. Repair parts are still available except for the crankshaft assembly, the voltage regulator/starter relay and the internal st/gen stator & field. -In 1980, an external, Hitachi brand starter generator was introduced and the engine was modified. The crank bearings, drive clutch, point set & condenser, voltage regulator and the engine frame all changed.

-1981 ushered in an electronic ignition system, which did away with the golf carts point set & condenser altogether, and the point activator lobe on the crankshaft soon went away too. Except for the addition of an oil injection system, this engine went virually unchanged until 1989 when the 3pg golf cart engine replaced it. Although the two engines are similar, many parts are very different.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
rthompson
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information Dave Box. I posted pictures of the old and new crankshaft I am hoping someone has a crankshaft idea that will work. Are we allowed to swear on this forum? ****!

PS I am familiar with Rocky Mount Virginia south of Roanoke, Va. I have been there very nice!

Last edited by rthompson; 11-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: added a post script
Old 11-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I know the 80's 2PG very well but the 70's was a little different with its internal starter and points/breaker ignition. I sure hope that someone smarter than me (and I assure you there's a lot of them out there) can come up with a solution for you.
There are a lot of guys on this forum putting big blocks into carts maybe someone there has an 80's 2PG they don't want. At least then you would have an engine you can rebuild. Might be worth putting a post in the Big Block section.
Good Luck
Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
rthompson
Not Yet Wild

I put the old crankshaft back in since there was no up and down play in it. It runs great and I have since bought a three wheel ez-go that has the same engine for parts. Where was it when I needed it?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

A story with a happy ending, it's a Christmas miracle. Enjoy your cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO