lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Paint question

My plan is to give my cart a camo paint job. To practice I experimented on a plastic 5 gallon bucket. I'm using spray cans of camo paint from a local store.

I need to put mine on in layers to get the affect I want. I put the base coat on and let it dry. While working on it later I see that the paint scratches off easily. I didn't do anything to the bucket prior to painting aside from cleaning. This of course would not work on the cart.

I take it I will need to rough up the surface before paining, to insure the paint will not peel off. But will this also stop it from scratching off easily, or will I require some sort of protective overcoat?
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Paint question

I painted mine camo. Before painting, I used aluminum primer because my panels are aluminum. That way the paint will adhere correctly. If you have plastic panels, use Krylon Fusion primer for plastic. You could clear coat it, but I prefer the ultra flat camo. It will scratch much easier than other paint, but that's the beauty... just touch it up once in a while and it will be good as new.

1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
reinman88
Gone Wild

Well the front cowling is plastic, but I'm thinking the parts under the seat are not. With a workhorse all I have is under the seat.

I'd like the flat finish too. I thought there might be a flat cover spray that would give more protection.

With the primer, wouldn't I still need to do something to the plastic to insure the paint and primer will adhere and not peel off later?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
popslcfr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sounds like you are trying the same as i was going to do.
After looking at lots of post on cart painting it was much easier to have someone do it for if I could find someone for a cheap price.
I indeed did find just that person and he said want I sould have used was a promoter first and then Primer/base/clear that way you get a good adheresion of the paint to the body and it will last.
popslcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Krylon and Rustoleum make primers for plastic. Clean it with mineral spirits, let it dry, then prime it. It will not peel off. It may crack if you really bend the plastic. If you are looking for a show quality paint job, it's best left to the professionals. Primer does not like to adhere to plastics, but Krylon fusion is your best bet for a rattle-can job.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
reinman88
Gone Wild

Show quality is not a factor. Unless it increases my chance at a nice buck.

I will look for the Krylon fusion for plastic before I start on the front cowling.

I suppose I'll need something different for the back since it is metal.

I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow of my practice on the bucket.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Reinman.... Primer will stick to the plastic. I have done it several times. Correct prep. will assure it to stick properly. I scuffed my plastic with a red 3m scotchbrite very lightly. I then apply my primer. I am using an automotive grade as well. I let it dry then I wet sand to get it smoothe and ready for paint. I basecoat then I clear. I believe the Krylon route would be easier just make sure your surfaces are prepared well and it should stick.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
reinman88
Gone Wild

Found the plastic primer today, so I'll use that when I do the cart. I'd already started the experimental bucket before I knew about it, so in the pics you will see some white where it scratched off easily.

First I painted the bucket a rust colored primer. Next to that is a bucket with a bunch of blue painters tape on it. I cut the tape in irregular strips so they could become branches. I put some on the bucket, then painted it again with a chocolate brown. After that I added more tape strips.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
reinman88
Gone Wild

The next thing I did was overspray with a gray primer. I didn't want a total coverage, that way some of the chocolate brown would show through. Pulled off all the tape and ended up with 2 colors of branches. After that I added leaves from images I'd copied on to paper and cut out for patterns. When done, I again oversprayed the bucket with a little chocolate brown and some of the green used on the leaves. I was trying to darken everything and give it all a more muted tone. Some sort of dull sealer would be needed when done.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks GOOD to me!!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO