lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Default 3 weeks a year use of Golf Cart-Worth It?

Sorry everyone for what might be a very dumb question. As a family we love to go to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach about 3 weeks a year. Last week was the first week we rented a cart. 5 days at $175. We are going for 2 weeks this summer and if I rented the entire time it would be over $500

So, naturally, I started thinking of buying a cart. Granted this would be about the only time I used it. It would sit in my shed the other 49 weeks of the year(don't even know if it needs plugged in daily or just once a month but my shed as power so no big deal either way).

I looked on Craigslist and saw some 1993-1995 Ezgo that had new paint, rear seats, light kits, new batteries, rearview long mirrors, top and windshields. They looked great. No lift but hubcaps to make the wheels look better. These were from a Dealer of used golf carts that fixes them up. The ones I saw were under $2k.

Well, my math says in 3 years I will be ahead of the game if I buy vs continuing to rent.

Some questions:
1) Is it worth it to buy. I would have to haul it in the bed of my '09 F250 regular cab with tailgate off since we tow a TT to the beach.
2) How do you know what to look for?
3) Better years, better models?
4) Do you keep them plugged up 7 days a week 24 hours a day when not in use or 1x per month?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but need to get a start on this if I am interested in buying before our 2 week vacation this summer.
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Default Re: 3 weeks a year use of Golf Cart-Worth It?

C The yearly maints on an elect cart would be more than the rental cost if you include the cost of batterys every 3 to 5 years. And yes if you only used it 3 weeks a year the batterys would last only 3 years. Next if you got a cart you would get the bug and spend more on upgrades. But with you asking your orignal question you may already have the bug.
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLakeside View Post
C The yearly maints on an elect cart would be more than the rental cost if you include the cost of batterys every 3 to 5 years. And yes if you only used it 3 weeks a year the batterys would last only 3 years. Next if you got a cart you would get the bug and spend more on upgrades. But with you asking your orignal question you may already have the bug.
Thanks for the reply. What yearly maintenance costs are you referring to? Hooking up to power to keep the batteries charged? Adding distilled water to keep the batteries topped off. If batteries will only last 3 years that is then say $700 every 3 years to replace 6 batteries. Ouch. Keep it coming everyone. I am not sold on wanting to buy but I hate paying to rent when i can afford to buy and I figured with a minimal investment of say $2k how much could I loose if I decided to sell. Putting it in that perspective makes owning seem more reasonable as I won't loose $2k but say a few hundred unless I buy a piece of junk that has been bandaged to look good. Here is one I say the peaked my interest:

http://http://greensboro.craigslist....340170890.html
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilt View Post
Sorry everyone for what might be a very dumb question. As a family we love to go to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach about 3 weeks a year. Last week was the first week we rented a cart. 5 days at $175. We are going for 2 weeks this summer and if I rented the entire time it would be over $500

So, naturally, I started thinking of buying a cart. Granted this would be about the only time I used it. It would sit in my shed the other 49 weeks of the year(don't even know if it needs plugged in daily or just once a month but my shed as power so no big deal either way).

I looked on Craigslist and saw some 1993-1995 Ezgo that had new paint, rear seats, light kits, new batteries, rearview long mirrors, top and windshields. They looked great. No lift but hubcaps to make the wheels look better. These were from a Dealer of used golf carts that fixes them up. The ones I saw were under $2k.

Well, my math says in 3 years I will be ahead of the game if I buy vs continuing to rent.

Some questions:
1) Is it worth it to buy. I would have to haul it in the bed of my '09 F250 regular cab with tailgate off since we tow a TT to the beach.
2) How do you know what to look for?
3) Better years, better models?
4) Do you keep them plugged up 7 days a week 24 hours a day when not in use or 1x per month?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but need to get a start on this if I am interested in buying before our 2 week vacation this summer.

Quote:
Then, it will be time to buy new batteries. That will be 700 - 800 again. Then, you're back in the Red.

On edit:
Sorry, this was already mentioned. I surely don't read the whole thread before commenting.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Think of it this way: Would you buy a 1993 Ford with a new battery and a Maaco paint job, leave it at the beach for a year and expect it to start and run well?
You're on vacation, $500 is cheap to rent a cart to do what you want and not spend the first 2 weeks troubleshooting and repairing a beater.

"If it has tires or tits, it's gonna be a problem!"
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Think of it this way: Would you buy a 1993 Ford with a new battery and a Maaco paint job, leave it at the beach for a year and expect it to start and run well?
You're on vacation, $500 is cheap to rent a cart to do what you want and not spend the first 2 weeks troubleshooting and repairing a beater.

"If it has tires or tits, it's gonna be a problem!"
Maybe

I practically do the same thing with my '04 ATV. I used to ride it a lot during the summer but have since taken up camping on the weekends with the family so it sits pretty much unused except during the 8 weeks I have it at my hunting camp. Didn't even charge the battery from last March until I fired it up end of October last year and it fired right up.

I do agree that it could be problematic but I was told if I kept the batteries maintained(charged 1x/month, kept fluids topped, terminal clean and tight) that the batteries would last 4-6 years. If I had problems with it I could sell it for something and possibly the loss I take on purchase vs. sale would be less than what I spend to rent. $500 is on the low end to rent. This year it will cost me over $700 to rent at the beach. That adds up quickly but I do get peace of mind of not worrying about problems of owning, fixing, replacing parts etc.

I just don't know how problematic it is to own one. The units I was looking it were all taken down to the frame, cleaned, sprayed, balls joints greased, brakes checked and adjusted, then painted, light kits etc. I did not think the year of the golf cart mattered too much but maybe I am wrong. I don't mind some education in this process.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

use it as a storage tank for a photovoltaic system.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts